1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New UK bass builder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eversonguitars, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Eversonguitars

Eversonguitars

Apr 19, 2009
    Bass Luthier
    Hi there

I'm Paul Everson and I'm a builder of basses ( and guitars ) and a working bas player too.

Please check out my site ( www.eversonguitars.com )
    and let me know what you think.

If you'd like any more info do drop me a line

all the best

Paul

2. Always good to see builders from the UK :)

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I have to ask, why is your headstock design so bland? Why isnt your ensignia on the headstock?

4. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I quite like the blank headstocks :cool:

5. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Seconded. The insignia is on the truss rod cover, which I think looks quite smart.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    My bad guys, I didnt notice the insignia on the truss cover.

I still dont like the bland headstock. The body is too beautiful to not be complimented up top, IMO, of course.

7. That's a bit strong, isn't it...? To one man the headstock may be bland and lacking identity, but to others it may be understated but tasteful (I sit in the latter camp) - other builders like Bill Nash do not use insignia's on the headstock, but it has evoked an interesting point in my mind - I can still recognize a Bill Nash bass even though they are obviously a Fender-style bass in generality...

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    The Custom Nouveau Walnut 4 has a great body shape. Looks comfortable and light - great design!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice looking stuff.

10. I like your slim bodied jazz style basses. They look like they would be comfortable to play.

11. Eversonguitars

Eversonguitars

Apr 19, 2009
    Bass Luthier
    Hi there folks

Thanks for the kind words. I'm currently building two simpler basses based on the walnut nouveau, pics on the site soon and Ill try to post them in the luthiers section too.

I've agonised over exactly how to put a makers name/mark on my guitars, most of my early instruments don't have anything as I couldnt decide! Jordasch, you're absolutely right and not the first to question why there isnt something on the headstock - actually I have started inlaying on the headstock now ( see the fyffe guitar on the site ), but also on the truss rod cover as many have noticed.

I've deliberately kept the logo discreet, the way I see it, you wouldn't buy a beautiful piece of furniture and expect to see "Chippendale" written across the front of it. The makers name is advertising at the end of the day and not an essential part of a guitars aesthetic ,though we are so conditioned to seeing a name on a headstock that I agree that it can look odd when there isnt one.

All the best

Paul

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Good looking instruments. Nice to see someone doing something a bit different.

13. the MM classic is really nice, and as some others have said, its nice to see another UK builder. what are the prices?

14. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Beautiful work! I love the look of that Tordoff bass--beautiful body but elegant and not screaming at the eyes of the beholder.

15. Keep up the good work. Where abouts are you in the UK?

16. Eversonguitars

Eversonguitars

Apr 19, 2009
    Bass Luthier
    Here are a few shots of one of the basses I'm currently working on.

This is the "simple" nouveau that I'm hoping to offer for much less than most hand made basses.

The body is cherry, neck all maple. Trim on the headstock is inlaid rosewood veneer and it will have matching rosewood scratch plate, back plate and jack surround. Gotoh chrome hardware.

I've set aside some Rio Grande Jazz pickups ( 'only ever used the guitar pickups before but if the bass ones are as good as those then should be onto a winner! If anyone has used them then do tell me what you think )

This isnt a commission, I'm building it for this year's trade shows and magazine reviews - so If you are interested in owning it drop me a line and if you are in the UK and want to try it I'll be at the manchester guitars show on 10 May.

All the best

Paul

Attached Files:

17. Eversonguitars

Eversonguitars

Apr 19, 2009
    Bass Luthier
    Oh and here's a close up of the rosewood inlay on the head - this will eventually have my MOP logo inlaid into it.

Attached Files:

18. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I like your ideas and designs! Nice job!