NEW ULTRA-LIGHT & SMALL SPEAKER from Acoustic Image ** NEW VIDEO AT POST #125 **

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Sep 22, 2017.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

The benefit of being local: Rick Jones of Acoustic Image saw that I have been using one of their speakers (which I really like) a Contra EX extension cab in which I installed my Genz Benz 6.2 Shuttle head.

He messaged me and asked if I would be interested in coming over to his shop and checking out a new Super-Light speaker which weighs 11 pounds. Yes, you heard me, 11 pounds.

I brought my DB and my 'Frankenamp' for comparison and he and I played through my speaker as well as his new lightweight speaker. (he calls it the 'Up Shot' because, unlike his typical downfiring woofers, this one fires straight up. I call it the hatbox because its size and shape look like an old fashioned hat box to me.

I also played through a new pre-productions micro head, a two channel wonder that is the size of the one channel SL and SL-R heads, but this one packs two channels with the same tone controls as the Clarus 4+ and automatically senses if what you have plugged in is a microphone or a pickup. Tre-cool. But, of course, more on that some other time.

To get an accurate comparison of the Contra EX (my speaker) and the new Up Shot, we used my GB head which I am used to and switched from one speaker to the other. The first obvious difference was the the Contra which has a 10" woofer, a 5" mid and a tweeter had more highs than the upshot which has just the 10" woofer and a frequency response (IIRC) of 30-3500 Hz. I did ask Rick about the possibility of somehow increasing the HF range and he said it would be possible to mount a tweeter on the grill in the middle of the woofer as they do with their Ten-2 model. I'm going to spend some time both at home and on the gig trying this thing out, and then I'll decide if I feel I would like any more highs.

The bottom line with our little test at his shop was that his new speaker definately passed the MBOL test which I do by playing acoustically and then slowly turning up the amp volume. If what you get is more volume with no discernable change in tone you have MBOL. Using my GB head with its usual settings - basically flat BUT with the mid-scoop engaged - that is what I got.

Rick is very much of the uncolored amp school. He just wants to hear the bass (only louder). He told me a story about a gig he played where he was supplied with a XXX amp. He spent most of the gig trying to dial in his sound and never could. The amp was so stronly voiced that no matter what you did it was the baked-in character of the amp that came through (Definately NOT MBOL).

We did talk and joke about how many if not most times MBOL is NOT what will best serve you best on the gig. As an example, I asked his impression of the sounds of my Ischell Mic vs the KNR bridge piezo I have recently installed and reviewed. He felt that the Ischell sounds more realistic - more like the acoustic sound of the bass. I agreed with him but then told him that on last Thursdays gig I had chosen to just run with the Piezo because it worked better in the room we were playing in. So many variables, so little time (to try and make sense of them all).

Anyway, I have a couple gigs next week that should give me a good chance to test the Hatbox, I mean Up-Shot, in the real world. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile I have attached Rick's UpShot Product Announcement - some interesting reading, along with a couple pics we took at his shop.

Rick Jones with UpShot. Rick Jones and Moi.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    basss, Hoyt, Povl Carstensen and 6 others like this.
  2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Grainy pictures in an era when everyone has a hi-def camera in there phone.......I think this was done on purpose to keep this speaker shrouded in secrecy, cloaked in mystery, like one of those UFO photos.

and then i viewed the attached pdf.

3. rickwolff

Yo Seven,

Hi-def, Hi-Schmef. I'm lucky I don't have a flip phone. Didn't you know I was cheap? Usually my phone takes better pictures. It was either the low light or my hands were shaking with excitement at being able to play 'GEAR JUNKIE'.

I only hope I'm a better bassist than photographer.

PS I've been noodling a little in my 'studio' and ran straight into the GB 6.2 without my usual pre-amp crutch and with the amp set Dead-flat, tried both with and without the mid-cut. Dang, this thing sounds like my bass.

Hoyt likes this.
  4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Au contraire - Just to be clear, everybody - It totally depends what the price tag is attached to - See rickwolff "CGJ" moniker. One cannot be a "Cheap Gear Junkie". Oxymoronic, at best.
    OT - Hey, I just noticed the spelling of your last name "...wolFF" = FORTISSIMO or MBOVL (...Very Loud)?
    I need to get a life.

rickwolff likes this.
  5. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Torrance, CA
    And it appears that you cannot escape your heritage; according to Godgle, Kasper is a traditional name meaning treasurer.

james condino likes this.
  6. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Hmm...no place to set your drink.

But seriously, less weight to schlep is always good the older I get. I wonder if most of the "light-weightedness" savings is a result of the cab or the speaker.

If it's the speaker, I'd be interested in buying one and retrofitting my Coda Series 4 with it to shave off a few pounds.

paulunger likes this.
  7. rickwolff

OK, I know it's a joke, BUT that's what I told Rick Jones. I suggested he put a warning sticker on it saying "DO NOT SET YOUR BEER HERE". But he showed me one of their drivers and explained how that wouldn't be a problem as they are virtually waterproof (the cone is not paper but some kind of plastic). I don't think I'd care to put that one to the test.

Anyway, I never liked setting drinks on my amps/speakers anyway, so I found a better solution:

SwirlyGig II Drink or Cup Holder for 1-inch - SwirlyGig Drink Holders

Since I'm a wine drinker I got their stemwear holder. Attach it to my mic stand which also holds my tablet and my pre-amp and voila, I'm all set.

Gig-A-Roo Stemware, Mute & Harmonica Mic Holder for 1/2-inch - SwirlyGig Drink Holders

Carl Hillman likes this.
  8. rickwolff

The weight savings is apparently the cab. The 10 inch driver is the same is in their other current cabs and the driver weighs 7.5 lbs.

Carl Hillman likes this.
  9. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Rick--where did you put your amp? On the floor? Do you know if it is 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

Erik

10. rickwolff

LowNote, So far have just put my amp on the floor. I'd like to get it closer to hand but don't want to carry more gear. When/if I use my Headway pre-amp I put it on a mic stand which is very handy. Maybe I can just get or rig up a mic stand mounted shelf for the amp. I usually bring the mic stand for my tablet anyway.

I think the driver is 4 ohms. I looked that way when I put my meter on it and my Contra EX is 4 ohms. I, or you, would have to ask Rick Jones to make sure. I'd love to find out if anyone local has a Barefaced Super Midget that I could compare. But of course those are over twice the money. I'm really hoping this little speaker works great for stage sound and personal monitoring at least (it sits right below me to my right and is aiming right at me. It is plenty loud that it should cover most small group gigs and for anything louder I use FOH. I'm less and less interested in carrying lots of heavy gear. This gets me down to pretty close to bare minimum.

Randy Ward likes this.
  11. Don Kasper

Wow...that Typo is scary and probably TRUE!

My Tribe was never involved in Finance, but was more of the "Loading Dock" contingent of Kaspers.
    Thanks.

Tom Lane likes this.
  12. In Germany, at least in the Rhineland and mainly around Cologne every kid knews Kasper as the star in a famous puppet theatre ...

Tom Lane likes this.
  13. Don Kasper

I've always felt that I had "show business" in my genes!
    I had no idea, however, that that was a Teutonic puppeteer's hand in my jeans! OUCH!
    (cue: Ethel Merman - "There's No Business Like Show Business".)

rickwolff and Tom Lane like this.
  14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been a long time AI user and fan of their products. I've been to the factory a few times, and have a relationship with them. Great stuff...they've been working on this for a few years.

Two questions: 1) Where do you put your amp with this cab? 2) Can we get some pics of the new head?

the_Ryan likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The price is very reasonable, well under the current Contra/Coda extensions, cheap by AI standards.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Does it still have a down firing woofer?

the_Ryan likes this.
  17. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    I think so?

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope, it fires up. Thus the concern about where to put an amp head.

19. rickwolff

Only if you turn it up-side down. It has one 10 inch driver firing straight up.

matthewbrown likes this.
  20. Oh, I had just settled on a MAS 18 to replace my old AI first gen cabinet, and now this.