Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New ultra-rig is a big flop...need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Nov 21, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I just got my new rig in that I would have expected to break glass and shatter walls, but I'm not getting anywhere close to the volume I would have expected from my Stewart 2.1, SWR IOD, and Epifani 3X10 rig. In fact, running the amp in bridged mode, I'm getting about the same amount of volume I get with my 240 watt Redhead combo....which isn't enough.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with this setup or components. At one point, I had both the preamp and poweramp level controls at 3:00, and I would have expected this to move mountains, but it was about the same volume level as my 2X10 combo. Any thoughts? The Stewart wasn't anywhere to clipping, but it wasn't even enough volume to do a gig. Also, when I soloed the tube section of the preamp, there was virtually no sound at all (the unit has barely been used), but there still wasn't much volume with only the solid state components running-no tube distortion. I was all ready to rattle the walls, but am extremely disappointed that I'm not getting any volume! :confused: :mad:

2. Someone just did a thread about this on the SWR. Supposedly the output is not very much. Might have to have the amp modified accordingly for that preamp. Come on guys, help him out.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Here is what I would do. Turn down the master volume all the way. Turn the power amp volume up all the way. Plug the bass into the passive input jack. Set the eq flat, the aural enhancer off, and set the blend to the clean channel. Turn the input gain to off, and turn up the master volume a little. Now, turn up the gain while playing until you hear some distortion and back it off a little. Now, turn up the master volume until you get a volume you like. Now adjust the eq and enhancer to taste.

If that doesn't work, you may want to add another gain stage via a compressor between the pre-amp and the power amp. The best thing, though would be to add another cab.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    That rig should be VERY loud! I would suspect that your preamp has issues. If you're having low output from the tube side, try replacing the tubes and see what happens. I've sold a ton of Stewart amps, and not had any major mis-match component problems. I'm not an Epifani guy, but that is a loud, good sounding cab. For club gigs, you should be all set.
    GEEK

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the IOD. If possible, try using another preamp through the rig and see how that sounds volumewise.

6. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Run another cab alongside the 3x10 it'll definately sound louder. 3x10 won't knock down many buildings.
    Run the volumes of the poweramp flat out too.
    I think your rig's great , it's the speaker section that needs tweeking.
    Also check the preamp outs some run at -10db
    Plug into the 'normal' output

cheers

7. two things- Try running the poweramp on full; cutting both sections that much is much more than the sum of the two.

Despite this, it does seem like there's something wrong with the preamp. Been there, done that, took it to a tech under warranty. It's better now. Do the same thing.

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sounds like a preamp problem to me.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jay, does your Redhead have a line out from the preamp section? See if running that into the Stewart brings the police...

10. Try using the pre-amp of the Red Head into the Stewart and see if you get the volume you need.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    As was mentioned above, the IOD has a very low output(as compared to other pre-amps). When I was using mine with a QSC RMX 1450, I should have been getting 900 watts RMS going into my Aguilar cab. I didn't get anywhere near the volume I needed. More volume out of my Mesa Walkabout! You need to have the power amp modified so that the input level is more suitable for the SWR IOD lower output. There isn't anything wrong, it is just the design. Great sounding pre-amp though!:)

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Loud is all perception (as Bob QSC will tell you!!)

If you're standing right next to the cab, you're sure as hell not going to notice a huge increase in volume between full power on the redhead and full power on your new rig. But stand 50 feet away and you'll probably notice a difference in projection. You can make yourself seem a LOT louder by turning up the low mids - like I said its all perception. Besides, how loud do you really need to be? :)

Of course, you really should get that preamp checked out.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i remember the first time i bridged to mono with my QSC PLX 2402...

i didn't notice ANY volume change.

then i read the manual, and realised that i had the speaker connection wrong.

when bridging to mono with the QSC you need to straddle both channel connections (1 AND 2).

pretty dumb on my part.

but, wow, when i connected correctly, BAMMO!!!!

i blew the roof off.

just a thought...have you checked your connections?

f

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A 2.1 properly mono-bridged into an Epi 310 will be frighteningly, if not insanely, loud. Something is seriously remiss in your setup. Output level from the pre, incorrect bridging hookup, etc. Whatever your problem, it ain't the Stewart and Epifani cab unelss one or both are defective.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I used to run a mono 2.1 into two BE 15's - yes pretty damn loud, but not that much louder than my 300w Ag into two GS112's. Remember the 3dB rule...

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i don't know the specs on the 2.1.

but when i run my QSC 2402 bridged to mono into my 4 ohm bergie 212.

LOOK OUT!!!.

f

17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Yeah, that World 2.1 should make your neighbors run for the hills JPJ. I have not even cranked mine and it's deadly loud.:D

Were you able to test it with a different pre yet?

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I called SWR today and they didn't really have anything substantive to say about the problem. I'm going to try my Redhead as a preamp (if I can figure that out), and may also try to pull one of the preamp tubes from my Mesa Trem-o-verb to see if it is a bad preamp tube (as I hope and suspect). However, I guess the only thing to do will be to take it in for a repair job if I can identify that the preamp is the faulty component. Major bummer, as I was all ready to shake the walls...guess I'll have to wait. I just hope it is a quick fix, as I have gigs and practices and no back-up preamp. Thanks for all the advice.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My "guess" is that the IOD has a low output voltage, and that your Stewart's input requires a bit more. What are the specs for both?

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    What everybody else said.......plus....if your using banana jacks, make sure you have the ground[ the side with the tab] lined up right....on both the poweramp & cab. Sounds like a real nice rig!