Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ultra Vintage Metro: what color guard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

My new sadowsky ultra vintage metro is nearly ready for shipping!!! :hyper:

i got some photos:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sickd...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

it is sunburst, maple neck with white block markers.

i was originally going for a black guard with a chrome bell cover as an option but the bass comes standard with a tortoise guard. i really like it but i think it might look too busy with a bell cover?

the word from sadowsky is that black wont look as good...

opinions???

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'm with Sadowsky, IMO tort looks better with a sunburst finish.

Regarding the bell cover, if you want it then get it. It's going to look good.

by the way, great looking bass!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Tort over sunburst with a pickup cover is about as classic a look as you can get. It's worked for 50 years. I had a US 75 Reissue with a maple board in sunburst, and it looked absolutely killer with a tort guard and chrome covers installed. In fact, it won a Talkbass Jazz Bass contest a couple of years ago.

That said, mint goes well with sunburst, too. :D

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi,

thanks guys,

looks like tortoise to start with...

i personally wanted black originally because i have an orginal '75 jazz in burst/maple white blocks and a black guard. i love that bass, but its soooo heavy and gave me rsi... :crying:

so i bought a sadowsky replica, which i think i'm going to like even more!!!!

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    then order one of each, it won't kill your wallet and you can change it whenever you want.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah, i already did that :)

along with other stuff. i just decided coz it was costing me so much anyway, i would just go to town and get all the options.

vtc to be installed

hipshot d tuner to be installed

and the black guard and a chrome bell cover...

i'm also getting sadowsky singlecoils installed because i think i will prefer the more traditional jazz growl and the mids to balance out the ash/maple and the bass/treble pre. should be really agressive and phat!

i'm having the humcancelling pickups loose in the case so i can try them or i might put them in 60's reissue jazz i want to make fretless...

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you want black, then get a black one. Just because Sadowsky doesn't like it doesn't mean you won't. He's not going to be playing it, right?

I would go ahead and get both of them. When I got my Metro, it came with a while pickguard. The first thing I did when I got home was call Sadowsky and have them send me a mint pickguard, and pickup cover. You might as well go ahead and save on shipping by having both sent at the same time, right?

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah,

sorry i should have explained the details of my order a bit more,

i always had the intention of getting the black guard too.

thanks for your ideas.

maybe i can get them to ship me a nice Metro RV5 at the same time?? :)

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, what about pearliod?

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hi,

i think pearloid can look really cool but i guess i'm going for a more "traditional" look.

cheers

11. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Congrats and good luck with the new axe!
    Let us know what you think of the sadowsky single coil pickups please...

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I Have a black PG on my sunburst/maple and IMHO its the best looking color combo. It really compliments the outside edge of the 'burst' and brings the color combo together.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just wet my pants! That bass is It! End of story. Keep the Tort. That is a magic looking bass. From the grain of the wood, the Burst, the white MOP block inlays. Stunning. Simply Stunning!

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Great bass! My Tokyo 5 is similar (59 burst + maple, no blocks) and currently sports a mint guard... certainly looks good, but I'm planning to put a black guard on there, which IMO is the best color for this combo... gotta love the SRV look.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Id get both and alternate them.

Rob

16. I vote tortoise

17. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i like the tort. i have a uv70 that i got about a month ago. i havent touched my other basses since i took it out of the box. you will love it!!!

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats a beautiful bass your a lucky guy and believe me they only look better in person. :hyper: :bassist:

19. +1 on the tort for me also... very nice!

20. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Looks beautiful just the way she is. Congrats bro!