1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Upright Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by brutal bassist, Mar 30, 2009.

1. I have been learning with my NS WAV4 and love it. I'm now at the point where its nessesary to get a real thing. I'm having trouble finding one. It needs to have a pickup, be bowable, and over 1,000 dollars, but i don't have a TON of money, so like 3,000 at most. Any Suggestions?

2. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA

Welcome here. Try this first, perhaps:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093

Double bass is a gas. Getting a professional double bassist for a teacher will help you with deciding what to rent/buy, finding a luthier to set up your instrument, and learning how to play.

If you want to use the bow, getting a teacher who works in the local symphony orchestra will save you years of pointless struggle, lost time, and potential injury. These thoughts are based on my own limited experience, but I hope that they are helpful.

Hope that you enjoy the journey!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Hey man, stay with it! :)

It's 3021.

3020 was here.

4. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    You asked for suggestions, so here are a few:
    1. For starters you should consider calling yourself a double bassist.
    2. Find a teacher
    3. Get your teacher to help you pick out a bass. There are probably some excellent deals to be had in this econonmy. Fully carved basses, or at least basses with a carved top, tend to sound better when being bowed. While your price point may be a bit low for a carved bass, I would recommend you try to get one. Although you don't want a poor quality carved bass, just to get a carved bass. This is why you need your teacher's help. If you plan on primarilly playing jazz, then the carved bass is not so important, and may not even be as desirable. So it really depends on your intended use.
    4. Have your teacher help you select a good bow. (Chances are your teacher choice will determine your bow grip (French/German) unless you already have made a selection, in which case your bow grip may orient you to teachers who play with the same grip.) You will likely be doing most of your practicing with a bow. Bow quality is at least as important as bass quality.

If you are like most of us, you will really enjoy getting onto a fully acoustic instrument, although you may have plenty of opportunities to perform with your EUB.

Jim

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    AND, I think we may have counted him TWICE at 3020. Of course, that doesn't change the count but you should have caught it.

6. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    We counted him twice? I did a search on our numbers and all seems in order. What am I missing? Hey, this is important! :)

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    What?! :rollno:

Not so important? Not as desirable? I couldn't disagree more. As has been pointed out here over and over again, the majority of jazz pros and certainly most of our jazz idols play or played carved basses. Although perhaps not as apparent as with arco, the difference in complexity of tone between a carved bass and a ply bass is readily apparent playing pizz. and, IMO, the sound of a good carved bass is much more desirable.

Now, I would agree that, for jazz, a carved bass may not be quite as critical as for classical, but that really depends on the particular orchestra/ensemble.

8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I knew that I put on my hair shirt today for a reason...now I know what it is. :)

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I'm losing my mind. Just shoot me. PLEASE.:bag:

10. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    In this economy, I can't afford the bullets...

I am thinkin' that we need an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all of this. Maybe some charts?...:)

11. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think some of the folk on this forum, are Bassist with a minor in Statistical Engineering. Or maybe vice-versa. Interesting to see that the count total goes over 3,000 for certain type post/questions. When will it reach 4,000? Has this been discussed amount the tally keepers on the forum?

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Wait until you've been here a few years and you'll understand more fully why there's a tally! :D

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004

A recent Bayesian analysis coupled with a comprehensive Monte-Carlo simulation predicts that the newbie tally will reach 4000 on or about May 26, 2027. This anaysis takes into account a variety of factors including predictions of changes in the relative number of individuals likely to take up the double-bass over that period. Details available upon request.

14. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Bassist Bean Counters are an interesting lot...God love em! Makes the forum such a beautiful place.

15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Future study:
    Given that a new bassist enters the dark asylum daily (rough average), how long will it take for the veteran inmates to see a decline in their number of gigs?
    Of course, inmates die off, so that would need to be factored in.

Drurb?

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Okay, I had Roger run it through the machine (see below). The demand for music may also increase and the double-bass is enjoying what seems to be an increased appreciation. According to the calculations, things come out pretty dead even with no significant decline in gigs related to new players at least through 2031. So, we're okay.
    [​IMG]

17. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Drurb, did you factor sunspot activity levels into the programming?

(Really nice photo, BTW! The sideburns are key.)

18. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana

WOW! Interesting information....I'm not worthy. Didn't I see you play a gig at Gillette Castle State Park? drurb & the rurbbers?

19. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    No, but we did account for gamma-ray patterns. :)

20. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Nope, haven't played at Gillette. :) Of all the places to pick!