Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Upright Player: Engelhardt vs. Strunal

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cephas45, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Hello, I've been playing electric for about 15 years or so, I started with the double bass back when I was in middle school or so, but haven't touched it since because I never looked into buying one. Well, the time has come. I'm looking for a plywood instrument with an ebony fingerboard, bridge adjusters, etc in the price range of $1000-$2000. I've narrowed it down to either the Strunal basses for sale on stringbass.com or the engelhardts. Does anyone have any experience with either of these who can offer a compare/contrast? Should I look for a used one or order it off of a site? Thanks in advance - soon to join the domain of real bass players =)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've read posts - possibly even whole threads - about both. Try using the search feature, limiting the search to the DB forums. One search for each should get you some results until someone who actually owns either of those basses checks in.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I bought a Strunal 50/4 (all laminated, ebony fittings) from Stringbass.com less than 6 months ago. I'm pretty happy with the service I got, and I'm happy with the bass. Keep in mind, it'll need some work to make it the best it can be, but it was decent right from the crate. Stringbass.com will even tell you that. Like Chris said, this has been covered before here, so if you'd like to hear more about my experience, email me off list.

4. I have an Englehardt ES-1 and Swingmaster. They are both top of the line for Englehardt. Though I don't play on a regular basis (a thing called a day-job keeps me from it), I have always felt they were at least adequate. I played the ES-1 with bluegrass and it has a good basic solid thump. Maybe it was that I had not changed strings on the ES-1 in 15 years (hey...!) but when I brought the new Swingmaster home, I noticed a huge difference in the tone and projection. I use steel strings because I like the bass drum-like thump that accompanies each note. The Swing and the ES sell for 2,500 new but look for them used and at discount. I like both models and want to have the Swing for jazz and the ES for bluegrass. Apologies if you were looking for a thriller on technical aspects - I just enjoy playing bass on whatever I can afford. I'm happy. I think its on www.englehardt-link or maybe its -links. I am sold on the ebony boards; gotta have those!

5. nope, actually this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for... i really don't have a point of reference as far as the double bass is concerned, so I can't compare anything. reading narratives of others' experiences are quite helpful to someone in my situation, thank you.

6. julioone

julioone Guest

Jun 20, 2001
    Suring, WI, USA
    I am in the market to buy a new bass and have been considering either a strunal or engelhardt. My problem, which is a good problem, is that I had stumbled into an early 1800's carved flatback which I picked up for $200.00 several years ago. Knowing nothing about this bass, only that it plays and sounds great, I hauled it around in the back of a truck all over. Now that I have realized it's value I have been much more gentle. I have heard that the strunal has a thick neck as compared to the englehardt. I have played a friends 49 Kay which has a thinner neck that mine and that plays great too. Since engelhardt is essentially a new Kay, I now have to decide between the thick neck of the strunal which is like my old bass or the thin neck of the engelhardt. decisions decisions.