New US Fender JAZZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by downstairs, May 7, 2004.

1. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Yeah, I know, long time since I have posted, but I am glad to say I just upped myself in my bass-dom! I was at Atomic Music in College Park yesterday, and I saw a MIA Fender Jazz bass, it was kind of goldish/greenish/metal flake color, very pretty! It went for about 569 on the tag, but I paid 550 flat, and got a free set of strings. I traded my ampeg b2 head, and a jay turser music man copy and gave $200, and made out like a bandit. I just have one problem with it. My band now tunes to drop C, CGDF tuning. When I play on the low string, its almost like the pickup itself is being distorted, it makes a very strange sound. Any ideas about that? But, overall, I am very happy with the purchase (I might put EMG J pickups in it)
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congratulation on the new bass. :)

I have the same bass, and I also tune down to C. I don't have much of a problem with mine, but I think I know what you're talking about. When you pluck the string hard, does it make a farty noise through the amp? I had this problem with my 5-stringer. I'd try lowering the pickup, and not playing that string so hard.

I hope this helps.
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Lower the pup,

In reality, this bass was not designed for this application, don't
    blame it if that does not work.

I play a 4 banger with traditional tuning, you want a C
    it is here, right here on the A string, 3rd fret,

So, if your guitar player drops his tuning, why do you
    have to?

If you want a low C, get a 5 string designed to give that
    note. And when the song is in Bb what will you do ?

Forget detuning. Play the bass.

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    i agree
    not detuning
    stick with your limits its more fun that way cuz you can come up with different ways to play the same song with only four or five normally tuned strings
  5. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy.
    Well, I hate the feeling of a 5-string, I do not like them at all, the neck are far too thick, but I also like the thump when I hit the low C and my whole house shakes :). I'm going to try to lower the pickups in it, for now I just ignore the sound.
  6. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

I'm assuming you don't play in a band that tunes down? I used to think like you do, but then I joined a band that tunes down a step to D. At first I used a 5 tuned BEADG. The songs were just awkward to play, for some reason the patterns and stretches were just odd. As soon as I brought in my 4 tuned DGCF, everything just opened up and became much more natural and fluid.

Its one thing if the guitarist uses an alternate tuning on a song or two, but when the lower tuning is the standard, there is really no sense in "sticking to your guns" just for the sake of principle.

There are a good number of people that tune a 4-string BEAD. You need to use heavier strings, which then requires the bass to be re-set up. I would think any sort of farting sound would be because the amp can't handle the note. Could be EQ, could be that your pickup is set too close to the strings.