Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New USA made Steinies are here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 4, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They look really nice. I had a few Hohner headless w/no body but they never "felt" right. I wish I could go try them somewhere instead of it being mail-order only.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They look nice, but unfortunately I like Steinberger graphite necks the least.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Could that be because they're not graphite? Steinberger necks are plastic.

5. Is there any real advantage to haveing a headless as apposed to one with a headstock?

I've always had the notion that they wouldn't have enough weight near the head.

Other than that, those are some beauties

6. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The new basses DO have graphite necks...here is a handy quote:

"Description:

The XQ is the world's most technologically advanced bolt-on bass. It matches a Steinberger M/S Blend™ ultra-stable one-piece graphite neck and fingerboard with an ergonomically designed swamp ash body. The neck is sonically matched to the wood body for unsurpassed sensitivity and unbelievable acoustic tone with added warmth. The double cutaway design allows full access to all 24 frets. XQ Series basses offer Bassline humbucking pickups for the finest in dynamic studio punch."

7. huh?
    as far as I understood, graphite IS a plastic-
    carbon-fibre reinforced composite.
    in Steinberger's ads they said their "Steinberger Blend" necks are a mix of carbon and glass-fibre reinforced composite.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Where are the XLs? :confused:

9. Yeah, we need some boat paddles here.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Wow, maybe there's a God after all.:)

I think the hassle of having to order one through MusicYo is minor, especially considering the price.
    Before Gibson discontinued the XL-4, they were being sold for about $3000.

I might have found my next bass. Thanks!:D

11. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Graphite, aka carbon fibre:
    "Fine, black, silky filament of pure carbon produced by heat treatment from a special grade of Courtelle acrylic fibre, used for reinforcing plastics. The resulting composite is very stiff and, weight for weight, has four times the strength of high­tensile steel. It is used in the aerospace industry, cars, and electrical and sports equipment."

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I played an original XL exclusively for 7 years in the 80s. To tell the truth, I DIDN'T like the way it felt at first but the tone and the sustain were unbelievable so I bought it anyway. However, once I got used to the feel of it, everything ELSE felt inferior.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! They are priced very competitively! They are the lowest priced composites on the market.

I wonder how much the XL will be? I already have a bolt on composite, but I would love an XL with the original EMG electronics.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Back in the day (Pre-Gibson) these basses were amazing among some of the best you could buy I've seen pics of Micheal Manring using them but are these new ones just beefed up gibson steinies or are they true to the original sound and feel?

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This first batch is made from NOS Stienie parts and new Moses-made necks, from what I've heard. All-new production is in process now.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, Moses makes the necks, but they are made from Steinberger Blend, correct?

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure...and (from memory) I can't even say the necks are made by Moses with 100% assurance.

However, the answer can likely be found in the archives of the Steinberger World YahooGroup, but I'm too lazy to look right now!

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    These look like new old stock to me i.e. they look like the XQ's that were being sold by Gibson. I say this because they're exactly the same as the XQ5 I have except mine has a transparent blue finish. I'm smiling though because I picked mine up for $600 and it's in excellent condition!

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From Steinberger World, regarding the new stuff:

"Steinberger USA is back in business! After a nearly 4 year hiatus, new USA made neck / wood bodied instruments are now available exclusively through MusicYo.

"They've just posted all new graphite instruments (GM's, GR's and a few XQ basses). These initial bodies had been stored in a trailer for the last several years. They've now been matched to what's being called the new "Steinberger M/S Blend™" graphite neck produced in a collaboration between Moses Graphite and Ned Steinberger."

More, this on what exactly they're selling:

"These first ones will not be sold nor advertised as NOS (New Old Stock). Other than the neck bolt pattern & heel plate, these will be pretty much identical to the new line being produced (including the same blend neck and new Spirit-style headpiece). So they will just sell these as new graphites. When these NOS ones are all gone the new ones should be ready to take their place. Other than die-hards like us, I'm sure few will notice or care about the difference."

I just ran across a sweet XM-2 today at a guitar show - that's the one I'm holding out for, either new or used!