1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New (Used) Amp Day - Ampeg V-4B Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P-oddz, Feb 3, 2016.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only reason for these "new amp day" posts is to brag, so I guess that's what I'm going to do. This evening I traded in an Orange Terror Bass 500 plus a few shekels and picked up a V4B Reissue. A few years ago I turned down an early 70's V-4B that was in need of some work, that ended up working out in my favor since I scored an AD200b a week and a half later. The Orange is an incredible amp, but I've still had my eyes on the Ampegs since then and was really excited with the launch of the reissue. I couldn't justify the price of a new V-4B since I already had a true (Orange) love, and wasn't really seeing any used ones come around at a price point I was digging. Anyways, this deal was too good to pass up, and it's worth having my wife temporarily angry with me for justifying another amp purchase.

Tomorrow I get to give it a go in full band context, but first impressions are really good. Really tweakable EQ section and a nice warm push. I own a PF800, and man... l didn't know Ampeg like this. For what some perceive as a low wattage amp, it seems like its got a lot of volume on tap. It looks gorgeous and I can't wait to open it up and really enjoy it. Now I just need to find out how to convince my wife that I need a 212AV cab to go along with it.

Don't know if anyone cared to read this, but I needed to brag. Brag over.

IMG_3255.JPG

2. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    what are the output tubes on that baby?

I've been eyeing some old ones on CL. One of these days, I might think it is worthwhile to retube & fire up my SVTs, but these interest me...

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    This one is stocked with JJs (6L6's). Not sure if JJs are stock or not on these reissues(?)

4. P A U L

P A U L

Oct 18, 2015
    Los Angeles
    JJ is 1 of the more typical OEM suppliers... I was wondering the type (6L6) - thanks! :thumbsup:...

P-oddz likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    JJ's are indeed stock on the V4B reissue. I do like the PF800 and have one my own self, but man...t00bZ!

P-oddz likes this.
  6. Yep JJs. The 70s V4/B's came with 7025 power tube iirc..???? Weren't 6L6's tho.
    Congrats on the new V4B its a beauty hey! ?!?!?!!!!

P-oddz likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The V4B is my favorite amp and I think heads and shoulders above the PF series (which I personally don't care for). It's 100W is perfect for my application. And, absolutely yes to the 212AVs - they're pure heaven with the V4B

P-oddz likes this.
  8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Practice tonight was fun! The amp sounded great! Gain cranked with volume to adjust... wow.

Growly, punchy, warm and loud. Much easier to find the sweet spot than the PF800 (for me anyway) and it oozes vintage tone. It's a keeper for sure.

TC.65, Mastermold, MoWBass and 3 others like this.
  9. How loud do you use the master on your ad200? Comparing the v4b?
    Used to crank my master on my ad200 at 12 or 1 o'clock and now
    On my VR it's around 10 or 11 o'clock (on both cases with an Ampeg 810e)
    Ah man, i want to try one
    Congrats on your new amp

10. The 7025 was basically a 6L6GC, handled a little higher plate voltage and had extra connections (tube element had two pin connections instead of one).

rodl2005 likes this.
  11. The VR is a beautiful amp. .. the ONLY reasons I could see wanting a V4B as well is. ...- weight saving. ..the V4B is about half the weight. And being able to get grind at lesser volumes. But. ..honestly. .. I LOVE running a GOOD 300w all tube amp (preferably running 6x6550 power tubes) into a smaller cab (that CAN handle the power) and then push that 300w amp into the less efficient cab for power tube glory at lower volume. In my case. ..my Fender Super Bassman thru a Bassman Pro Neo 115 cab. It handles the power. ...just, but gets grindy on the VINTAGE channel - so no overdrive channel distortion- at not TOO loud levels.
    I loves my V4B also mind

12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Comparing volumes/gain:
    AD200 I keep gain at about 1 o'clock and master volume at about 10:30 (ish)
    V-4B I've been playing with gain set in between roughly 3-4 o'clock and master running roughly the same as the AD200 at about 10-10:30.

MoWBass likes this.
  13. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Nice! Are you playing it through the Sunn 18's?

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Think you guys meant 7027

7025 is a low noise 12AX7, though I'm more than sure you knew that ;) just don't want anyone reading this and getting confused

B-string and GregC like this.
  15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Only using the 18's at home for practice at lower to medium levels. My main cabs are the Orange OBC410 and OBC115.
    The Sunn 18's are ridiculously heavy so they don't really leave my basement. Also, I think that 40+ years has weakened internal structure a bit and they shake like hell (mostly in a bad way) and buzz in nasty ways at fairly loud volumes. One of these days I'll look into how I can improve performance of them.

That said, I can get into foundation shaking territory before they start to fall apart on me.
    Similar in tone to something like this:

daveman50 likes this.
  16. YES, actually 7027A. I guess I was more tired than I thought. Thank you :).

coreyfyfe likes this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I do that all the time. Don't do what I say, do what I mean.

coreyfyfe and B-string like this.