1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New "used" Bass Today! Need some Warwick advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daedraziel, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    Just received a 2006 Warwick Corvette Standard active (bubinga). I got it from the Talkbass classified from user angelopbass and it was a fantastic transaction on his part. THANKS AGAIN ANGELO! :bassist:

I unpacked it and put it on the bench immediately to clean it up a bit and change the strings (DR Fat Beams) before beating on it for an while. I noticed a few issues that Id like to remedy before gigging with it and was wondering if I could get some input on the best way to fix these small issues.

First- Fret wear, The first and second frets on the E string are bad...I know its a pseudo common thing with the brass frets but ive never seen it this bad before on my other road dogs (still plays great with very little buzz after tweaking the neck/bridge). Is this something to have my Luthier address? or is it just normal wear?
    cxVeDrd.

Second- The Nut... The strings OBVIOUSLY wore through this thing and ive heard/read all sorts of stories about the "Just a Nut" crap thats on these basses..the strings dont look like they belong in this thing at all and I have a feeling changing the nut to a better fit would make the setup easier and more accurate. What is the best replacement? NjG0oyI.

Third.- No pic but the D string tuner is loose as hell and the nut on the top slips if tightened any more. Is a new set of tuners out of the question? After wailing on this instrument for an hour It held the tune perfectly so Its not a crucial issue, but Is this common?...

Otherwise for the deal I got on this and the fact ive wanted a real Warwick for over a decade...this thing is bitchin...Sounds and plays better than I could have hoped. I even love the thick neck and heavier weight of it...lets see how it handles when fixed and gigged. Thanks in advance for any advice! and sorry for the huge pics

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wow that's some serious fretwear! Looks like it's been chomping on the fingerboard for a while too. I don't know anything about re-fretting but as a Warwick owner I'll be looking for the responses.

The nut. You know that's not a Just-A-Nut, right? That's just some replacement standard nut that somebody did a bad job of sticking on there. Just-A-Nuts are far from crap, they are quite extraordinary.

The tuners. Warwick uses the cheapest tuner bushings known to man. They break right in half. All you need is the bushings if you can get them. Barring that, new tuners would be in order. A few years back there was a TB user who made Warwick bushings out of solid brass. I got a set from him and I love them. I have no idea who that was though.

Did you know the bass was in such bad shape and needed so much work when you bought it?

3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    awesome thanks. this nut thats on here I assumed was a Just A Nut...but after typing this thread and looking at the glue job on this nut, its obvious that it isnt... whatever, thats a simple fix once I nail down the right Just A Nut. Short of the 2 pics ive shown, the body/electronics/cavity/neck are a near perfect 9/10 for sure.. Ill have one of my luthiers look at a possible redress on the frets...but its only worn on those 2 frets shown...maybe was a set of wound steels that got played hard?

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah click that link above and you'll see what a Just-A-Nut looks like.

Odd that none of that stuff was mentioned in the FS thread. Did you get pictures privately beforehand?

6. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    yes of course I got pictures, I suppose I was too enamored with the overall shape and cleanliness of it (along with the price) to notice these things. I took the pics you see myself though a few hours ago. I visited the local Sam Ash and Guitar Center to play 2 other Vette standards and they were in piss poor shape, at $800+ each...this one is phenomenal in comparison.

7. FineCatsNCigars

FineCatsNCigars

Jul 25, 2013
    I know exactly what the bass needs. First, the just-a-nut has been replaced by a cheap nut, and it was added pretty badly. You can get a new just-a-nut here.
    The frets will unfortunately need to be replaced, but the good news is you can get 26 frets from Warwick here

I am not trying to advertise or get you to spend money on Warwick, but finding Warwick parts can be tricky. I suggest you order them directly from the site, or directly from your local nearest Warwick dealing shop. Or if you want to use regular parts that's find too! I own the 6 string version of this bass and it's incredible bass that is worth investing in.

I hope I could help :)

8. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

That's NOT a Warwick nut FYI not sure what it is but there is enough crazy glue around it to put the space shuttle back together. Careful taking it off it will break up some of the wood.

3/8" Ultralite tuners are a perfect replacement.

A nice fret level would help but other than that congrats on the Wic....

9. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    got up early and wailed on this thing for a bit longer. Tuner is still holding the D string perfectly and I ordered the Just A Nut III with the right spacing. Also emailed my luthier Billy Penn with some more pics to see how he would redress the neck/frets. Im sure he will say they need to be replaced and thats fine, his work is incredible. I havent been excited about a new bass like this in recent memory, so whatever it takes I'll do or have Bill do.

10. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    Alrighty just an update. I had my luthier re-fret the Vette in nickel and set it up, also he replaced the plastic crap nut with a just a nut. I'm going to pick it up this weekend between gigs and take a few pics of it.