1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New used combo amp HELP NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brad12s, Mar 28, 2013.

1. brad12s

brad12s

Mar 28, 2013
    So I am going to pull the trigger on a new used bass combo amp today or tomorrow and need to get some advice from the hive mind here at TB. While I’d love to go 50W tube 212 , it’s just not possible financially... mans gotta` have a dream and mines about $200 - $300 right now.
    For reference I play 4 string jazz, finger style, minimal slap and pick, mostly blues, rock through a sans amp bass di which is where most of my tone comes from. Purpose is for practice, small venues and studio recording. Mainly DI for the studio but It’s gotta push enough to hear over a drummer too.
    Here’s a look at what’s available here locally that I am looking at: They are all in the same class of 115s except the Carvin 212:
    1) Ampeg BA 115
    2) Crate BT 100
    3) Acoustic B100
    4) Acoustic B200
    5) Fender rumble 100
    6) Carvin B800 212
    I’d love to hear some feedback,
    Any direct experience and why or why not you liked it?
    Do any of these stand out amongst the others? Any that I should stay away from?
    Thanks!

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    THEORETICALLY the 2x12 will push more air and, if the amp is capable, give you more volume than the 1x15's. I don't have any experience with that particular Carvin model, but I have been very pleased with the three Carvin amps I have owned over the years. My experience is that Carvin amps are way rugged and definitely not underpowered. I would call Carvin stuff middle-of-the-road soundwise; they are definitely not boutique amps, but they are much better than [DEL]Beh[/DEL]...er, low-end stuff.

I'm now a dyed-in-the-wool Ampeg guy, but if you're not into "the Ampeg sound" you may be happier with one of your other options.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
  4. brad12s

brad12s

Mar 28, 2013
    thanks for the info... I'm gonna give the Carvin a test drive tonight.

5. brad12s

brad12s

Mar 28, 2013
  6. I use the Carvin MB15/15 with great results. The MB15 by itself is great also, and many others rave about the MB10 and MB12 or the MB210.