1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Used Dean EAB Acoustic/Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Williethump, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    DSC06402.JPG
    Here’s my new 2009 Dean acoustic electric bass guitar, $75 USD cash from Craigslist Sacramento.
    DSC06392.JPG
    Except the electric parts, the piezo electronic pickups and amp, are largely silent except a bit on the E string.

I looked for a battery hatch but no joy. I have to think it needs a fresh battery after ten years even if the seller said he’d never plugged it in. But it sounds, looks and plays well acoustically. And I trust I can probably fix the amp system.
    DSC06395.JPG
    Strings are no doubt original from Dean’s factory so it will sound much better with new D’Addario phosphor bronze strings.
    DSC06383.JPG

Neck needs torquing as well, some fret buzz in places. I’ll send it out for setup as I lack tools and knowledge on acoustic setup, which differs from Fender style ‘bolt on’ necks.
    DSC06389.JPG

This is the second acoustic/electric I’ve owned and I always forget the posture and playing adjustments needed for holding, fretting and fingering such a giant dreadnought.
    DSC06396.JPG

Suffice it to say if you can play this monster you can handle anything. Since it now lacks a strap and front strap button, I’ve been standing it on the bed and playing it like an upright it’s so humongous- except still using two plucking fingers.
    DSC06404.JPG

Luckily I can rest my right arm inside the giant scoop of the top bout and then fret it right over the neck, which I normally do anyway. But playing it is a stretch, no doubt. When I switch back to my other basses it feels so easy to reach everything.

DSC06390.JPG
    So, yes, playing it and even holding it qualifies as semi-painful US Army style ‘valuable training’.

That is a job that’s dangerous, painful, boring, dirty or demeaning that makes me a better soldier, or in this case a better bassist.

DSC06388.JPG

But on the other (gripping) hand, it does sound so soulful, is mighty pretty, the price was right, and it does not tie me to my amp. If it doesn’t disable me first.

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    It's a passive pre amp, no battery needed. The passive Deans were know to be weak in the output department.
    All I play are ABGs. I can comfortably sit in an armless office chair or stool and play for a couple hours.
    Congrats on the bass.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Find yourself one of these.
    aphex-1402-bass-xciter-13855.jpg

bassbrad and B-Mac like this.
  4. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks MD, jd56.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Excellent! A new abg! Give it rather high setup and a set of tapewounds, and you're good to go. Nice price, too. I dont know Dean electronics, but many abgs have batteries accessed through the soundhole. My Martin and Tacoma both have this setup.

6. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I love Craigslist finds!

7. Even if you have played 34 inch scale electrics for years,
    you will come to notice that these things are BIG.
    It's hard to not hit something if you move around with it on a strap.
    Lots of EAB for the money and a great deal on it, as well.

8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    True; passive electronics, which can be fickle. Some days they're great; others, horrid. Body style is not dreadnought but more O-model. Tapes for fretless, but for fretted I've migrated to Savarez classical bass guitar strings: roundwound on gut.

You think the bass is big. Put it in a hardshell case and tell us what you think then.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Nice!

The new 2019 model will have a Fishman Preamp as I understand it.

@McG and @Leftka gig with the EAB

@Jason Garrett has the cut away version

I invite you to Dean Club!!!

$75 is an awesome price for this as yours looks to be in great shape.

That lower bout (18 or 19 inches across IIRC) and the additional area below the bridge definitely makes it big!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    jmain and McG like this.
  10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    "Preamp" means active. This bass has passive tone control and volume only, no preamp, no battery.

All piezo pickups sound weak and tinny without a preamp. You can
    1. Build a Tillman preamp and add it to the existing components. You will need to find a solution for the battery.
    2. Replace the passive controls with an actual onboard preamp. This might require modifying the opening.
    3. Use a standalone preamp unit. Finding a good one might be challenging because it also needs to match piezo impedance, not just juice up the signal.

11. B-Mac likes this.
  12. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Gretsch, Billwhite, B-mac, thanks for the info. Even with the wonky piezo it was a good deal, sounds tone-full even with the old roundwounds. Can't wait to hear it restrung with setup
    Yes, trying to imagine this beast in a HSC. Just hoping it fits in my gig bag. Might have to strap it to the car roof like a doghouse bass!
    This thing's a challenge but the pretty sounds it makes are worth it.
    Probably put D'Addario rounds on it since I have a p-bass and a Sir Paul Rogue Beatle bass with flats.
    Thanks y'all.

B-Mac likes this.
  13. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Abarson, Bassbrad, very good tips, I'll check out the links. Thanks!

14. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    I have this bass as well. Great, fun bass, for not much money. I found that it sounded worlds better when I threw some flatwounds on it. Can't remember which brand I used at the moment...

B-Mac likes this.
  15. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    This ^^^
    Oh hell, while the strings are off, might as well yank the frets to.:)

Williethump likes this.
  16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Jefk
    I do love the Labella flats on the violin bass. And the TI flat Jazz bass set on the p-bass are without doubt the best strings I've ever touched. So I've got flats to play.
    Then there is the cost-expensive strings on a Craigslist ax...hmm.
    You are making me think though, I bet the Dean sounds stand up bass-like when sporting flats. I like that sound too, in fact I'll buy a U-bass soon when one comes up on CL. From one extreme to another, size wise.
    Thanks!

B-Mac likes this.
  17. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    MD
    I do love the fretless mwah...
    But at 67 years old and with almost 1.5 years playing bass I can barely hit the right fret, much less hitting a fret less board in the right spot by ear.
    Plus this Dean is too nice and cheap to change, better I find an even cheaper flea market bass to desecrate when I get better.

B-Mac likes this.
  18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Bass also available as a fretless.

B-Mac likes this.
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're welcome.
    It's what makes my Dean Exotica special.
    Not to mention D'Adarrio black nylon tapewounds.

(Headphones are recommended)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    B-Mac and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  20. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    I play my EAB in a position simular to this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxOvS0QYakDYp-sm3wtxOWjp9Tkg6QeOqh_WodvTNa0g8o1nAXAA.jpg
    for the same reason as you mentioned.... It might help...

Lance Bunyon and B-Mac like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021