New (used) MTD535!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bickele, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Here's my new second hand MTD 535 :hyper: , ash body, dark burl maple top, maple neck, ebony fingerboard :bassist:

I love it!

2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very nice. Congrats!
  3. mike does great work... nice bass!
  4. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    The bass feels and sounds GREAT, more then I'd expected!

And now for the questions:

1. Care and maintenance: being a second hand instrument I didn't get any info from Mike about wood care... Tips?

2. Strings: at the moment I have La Bella exposed core on it, I'd like to try MTD strins, since I read in other posts that they seem to agree with the bass... What's the cheapest place to buy online?

3. Intonation: how to intonate an instrument with Buzz Feiten tuning system? (I haven't done a search on this one yet, don't bother to answer if it's been discussed before)

4. To the fellow MTDers: the only strange thing I found in this bass so far is the Jack output socket. Looks great, feels great when playing, especially sitting, but when the jack's in, the bass doesn't fit the regular guitar stands, the weight of the instrument is straight on the jack. Are there short jack connectors (the L shaped ones don't fit) or taller guitar stands out there?

Thanks all

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use hanging stands, but even if I didn't, I've gotten in the habit of always unplugging active basses when not in use, and that includes between-set time at gigs. :)

BTW: my 535 is my most comfy bass by far. I know I've said this a dozen times, but it's like Mike made it for my hands! Yours is also gorgeous (of course). If I was Bill Gates, I'd keep Mike so busy with 535 orders he wouldn't have time for y'all. :D
  6. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    :D LOL!

7. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Anyone on questions 1. and 2.?

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

1. depends on what finish you have on it. Whats the build date of the bass. If it has oil and wax finish, some ken smith wax would be nice. If it has the new acrylic urethane finish, some guitar polish would do the trick.

2. can't you order direct from mike?

bottom line, I would email Mike with your questions and bass serial number. I'm sure he'd be glad to answer them.

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's way nice. Enjoy!!
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm in love with them.But soo expensive but probably worth it
  11. bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for the comments!

It's such a joy to play this bass! My practice time has at least tripled.

The sound is very clear but warm through all the strings, up and down the neck, impressive B.
    The envelope of the sound is what I'm especially happy with: plosive attack, sounds somewhere in between a round "p" and a "b"; long sustain but not fake synth-ish like other active instruments.
    I've done some live and studio work with it lately with great results; it cuts through in the mix even at low volume and monitoring on stage is extremely comfortable.

The active Bartolini electronics sound great and the eq's powerful, maybe even too extreme if you turn the knobs all the way (especially on the boost side). I haven't experimented much with eq settings on stage or studio though, I'm plying it safe for now and enjoying the sound of the bass with balance and eq flat... More on this later.

Is it worth the money? YES!!! :D

FYI: serial number 770 built 01.12.02
  12. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    You can find MTD users advices here :
    Some of them will be glad to help you and answer your questions !
  13. Beautimus. You say you got it second hand....

I don't understand why anyone would sell such a nice bass...??? :confused:

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I disagree. Oiling your fingerboard that often(which really doesn't need to be done at all on Ebony) will just kill your strings fast.
  15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Mike's basses use an epoxy finish similar to that on the rocker panels of jeeps. It is very tough - just a basic polish should do. I am not sure what he recommends for Ebony board, but he is usually pretty disappointed with me for not oiling my rosewood board enough. If the tradeoff is new strings vs. A cracked, dried out fretboard, I go for the new strings.

My strings of choice are the Thomastik Jazz Rounds - they feel and sound wonderful. They are not cheap however, but would you put just ANY gas in Ferrari.

This is not quite what other have said. The breakdown is this
    B string: -1 cent at the 7th fret
    E string: -1 cent at the 7th fret
    A string: -1 cent at the 12th fret
    D string: +1 cent at the 12th fret
    G string: +1 cent at the 12th fret

The only difference is using the 7th fret for the B and E strings. Personally, I use the Peterson VS-1 (digital strobe tuner). It does a pretty nice job - but you have to get used to reading the low B and E strings on the meter.

There is ONLY one guitar stand that you should use. It is absolutley the only one I will ever use. I have just gone through too many flimsy guitar stands -
    The Hercules GS415B
  16. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1. Mike Tobias recommends Butcher's Wax, which was hard to find in Hawaii. I've only waxed my bass once in 4+ years. I understand that Mike's non-glossy finishes are epoxy base coat, plus several coats of an oil finish, and 3-4 coats of urethane. The finish is very durable.

2. I've been using MTD strings. I've tried DRs and a few other brands, and they didn't sound or play as well as the MTDs. I buy a 5 string set for under $29 at a local music store. Look around your hometown, you might get lucky.

3. I have a BFTS model, but I just intonate it like a regular bass with no problem. can't help you here.

4. if I read your post correctly, you're saying the you keep your instrument cable plugged into your bass when you place it on the stand? I always unplug my bass prior to placing it on the stand, and I don't have any problem. Unplugging the bass when you're not playing may help save on some battery drain.

Enjoy the bass! it's one of the instruments there as far as craftsmanship, playability and tone.