1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new user, HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Henroid2, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Henroid2

Henroid2

Aug 13, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Hey guys, ive been reading for a while, finally decided to make a post. I will give a little background.

I play bass in a Alternative Rock Band, Right now my current Set up is as follows

Head: Hartke HA4000
    Cab: Ampeg 8x10
    Bass: 2002 Fender Jazz Standard

Problem:
    My Bottom String is just not there, we played a gig this weekend and the sound guy said that my bass was in and out, and i know what he was talking about, my low string just isnt there, the top 3 are fine and then my bottom end just drops out.

If i adjust the low, mid low, and or Dbass setting it doenst really help, it just makes the top strings louder/bassier but doesnt effect the low string. I have adjusted the height of my pickup that didnt really help.

HELP!

2. 1st- try the bass thru another cab/amp- IS it the bass?????

3. Henroid2

Henroid2

Aug 13, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    thats kinda what i was thinking, but im not sure what it would be on the bass

4. I had a Fender Jazz Bass once that ONE string just didn't ring out NEAR as loud as the others. New pups fixed 85% of problem.

5. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    It probably is the pickup.
    But before you spend any money, try a different amp - it could be the amp.
    Also, is the speaker good - do all eight drivers work?

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    See them screws that hold the pickups in on the bass? Turn them so that you lower the pickups on the G-string side (yes, I realize I said G-string, go ahead and giggle a little bit, I know I am LOL), and then raise the pickups on the E-string side a bit.

Simply put, the closer the pickups are to your strings, the louder that string will be. Make 'em further apart from each other and you'll have a decrease in output.

***PLEASE try this before you go buying a new bass or new pickups or a new amp! It takes all of 14.876 seconds!

7. As long as the string ain too close & "choking" can occur! But-good idea raise & lower a bit, as said. Try diff. amp & cabs!!!

8. Darkstar pickups have easily adjustable pole pieces, buy them NOW :D

9. Henroid2

Henroid2

Aug 13, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Im going to try lowering the other side tonight. i also know that my e string is a different gauge than the rest its a 105 i believe. i didnt know if that could be it or not. sometimes i do use a sans amp and it still does it either way with or without

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Could also be the string.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

When's the last time you had a decent pro setup?

When's the last time you changed your strings?

(.45-.65-.85-.105 ) is a very standard 34" Scale set. No issues there.

1) New strings
    2) Adjust the pickup heights.
    3) Go see you local bass luthier for a makeover.

12. Henroid2

Henroid2

Aug 13, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I just purchased the bass and had it shipped to me. im not sure when it was set up last. also my bottom string is alot larger of a gauge than the rest i broke an e and thats all i had. the low e string feels and sounds dead even when i just play it without my amp

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Where you located? I'll fix ya up if you're anywhere near Cincinnati.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

A .105 E string is exactly the right gauge, that is not a
    problem.

However if it sounds dead unamplified, it is not going to
    be better amplified.

Go get a nice new set of GHS Boomers 45-105 and put them
    on tonight. Report back tomorrow.

And like NKUSigEp noted, there are a lot of people willing
    to help you, you may want to fill out your profile and help us
    help you.

15. I'll second the "try a new set of strings" suggestion.

I have had a set of strings have one "dead" one fresh out of the package.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Since this isn't Amps related, I'm moving it to the Setup & Repair section.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Aside from my offering a suggestion to reverse #1 and #2 above, Thor has given you all the info you need. It's probably either the pickup position or a bad string, and a setup will discover and correct either one.

18. Henroid2

Henroid2

Aug 13, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I just tried adjusting the height of the pickups, that helped a little, im definitly going to try and get a good set up on the bass asap, hopefully that will help out alot.

oh and im located in PA