1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New V3 of VisualSound's Route 66

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Apr 8, 2015.

1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Alright - so I'm still looking for a compressor and trying to simplify the ol' board - I've been through a Dyna Comp, Super Comp, M87 and the latest, a Philosopher's Tone (which I didn't give much time, admittedly) and thought I would try the latest version of the Route 66. Ovni's review of the old one is pretty spot on; it just wasn't very good - But I was a huge fan of the original rt66 when I played guitar and wanted to see about this one.

The new version is smaller, rectangular - pic for size comparison with my Way Huge and Mooer pedals:
    ZYztSoP.

And you'll notice a couple big differences here. There are clean blend knobs on both the comp and OD sides, and there are two different voicings for the drive channel, which I can't exactly describe the difference between. Also, the jack arrangement in the back is set up so you can put either effect in front of the other (separate ins and outs - I assume that also means you can put effects in between if you wanted to - but if you just use the in on the comp and out on the OD, it works in series the way you'd expect). Oh, and there is now a switchable gate on the comp. AND, I almost forgot, it's now 9V. I think the old ones were 12?

Note: a couple of the knobs operate backward from what you'd expect. Clean blend on the OD side, for instance, dials in LESS clean as you turn it clockwise. I can't remember if it's the same on the comp side at the moment. The Tone knob on the compressor seems to roll off highs as you turn it clockwise; also strange but once I figured it out, all was okay. The pedal doesn't actually have a full manual, just some sample settings for guitar and bass. I'll ask Visual Soun---er, Truetone (now) for more details.

The compressor is very simple, like a Ross or DynaComp I guess. It's subtle-ish but you can crank it and make it sag your attack if you like. It's clean (note I didn't get any input clipping but my basses are passive so YMMV) with a bit of tone coloring, and if you're not careful with EQ can emphasize some overtones that might sound like it's UNbalancing your notes.

The OD is an interesting flavor. It doesn't do a BDDI or SVT 'grind' type drive; it's more blankety and a bit dark, but I like it fine for the lower-gain side of my dirty sound preferences. I haven't cranked the drive to see where and how it ends.

All in all:
    - Is it better than the old one(s)? Yes! Quite a bit!
    - Is it suitable for bass? I think with the new controls it is, yes.
    - Do I like it better than, say, a Philosopher's Tone into an EHX Glove? Probably not particularly.
    But, simplifying the board a little bit is good (in cabling and power requirements), and I played with a couple other guys tonight and it sounded just fine in the mix! The only thing I wish it had was a mid-hump like the Glove.

So I think I'm going to keep this and sell the PT and Glove.

Thanks. This has been another episode of Pedals People Probably Don't Care About Much. Tune in next week, when we fire up a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore. (I kid, I kid)

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah, I bought one of the V1's for my guitar player to use in a country band a few years ago. I was kicking myself for not trying one before for myself. Probably one of my top TS clones

3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    You know - this morning I A/B'd the rt66 against the PT and Glove directly; the PT is definitely a more transparent compressor, and the Glove, it turns out, doesn't quite retain as much bass "body" as the OD on the 66 does - it has this lo-fi thing going on that I really dig. It's actually a tough call!

EDIT: after some more ABing, I am sending the 66 back - the PT is a nice comp and the Glove, while not the best drive I've ever had, will do for the moment. Plus, both of those together cost me less than the 66 since they were used.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Bumping an older thread here, but I recently repaired an early version Route 66 for a guitar friend and messed with it on my rig. Have to say, it sounded great on bass. Haven't tried it in a live mix, so I have concerns about that bass "body" getting lost as you say, but with the comp running with the overdrive, it sounded quite heavy in my basement. The comp side doesn't sound noisy at all and gives a nice fattening sound to the tone. Again, that might change in a mix with my normal P or jazz setup. It may be great match for my EB-0, though.

Also, FWIW the Glove excels as a real overdrive...that is pushing an amp or preamp pedal. On its own it does lose low end, but paired with a good preamp type pedal it sings.