1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Valenti 5 Review & Clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Apr 8, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hi all, I just recieved Valenti #025 today and I must say that I am pretty impressed. I'll give you a run down of what I have here.

Ash body with Quilted Maple top, matching headstock overlay with a 34" scale ebony board. The bass weighs in at just over 10 pounds but does not really feel it's weight. I went with the Nordstrand Fat Stacks and could not be happier. These pickups are pretty sweet sounding. I had Nino use an Aguilar OBP-1 ( I can't stand forced mids - just my taste!!) and wire the pickups series/parallel. I also had him wire in a passive tone control - which I love.

The fit and finish on this bass are top notch. It is gorgeous and as everyone has stated before, the pictures do not do the bass justice. The black body with the dark board is very striking. It's Darth Valenti.

This is my first bass with Nordstrand pickups and it will not be my last. Prior to having these pickups, my favorites were the F Bass pickups but I feel that these Nordstrands have a much more organic sound. They sound very smooth and buttery. I can get some huge lows out of them and also some beautiful singing highs. I have the bass tuned E-C and it really sounds nice in the upper register.

Nino is a quality guy and he turns out excellent work. I could not be happier with this purchase. The bass was a little more than $1800 shipped. That is a great price for a great instrument. I have followed every Valenti thread on TB and am thrilled that I pulled the trigger on this bass.

Mark_Knell_020.

Mark_Knell_018.

I have attached a couple of things I did on the bass tonight. Both we recorded directly into Pro Tools with the settings pretty much balanced straight across. One is the theme from "The Godfather" that I have been tooling around with and the other is a lullabye that I wrote. Nothing too complicated, I just wanted to give a couple of samples using the extended range.

Kill those GAS pains and order from Nino - you will be happy that you did.

Peace!

Mark

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    nice playing, bro!
    ok, between this and Kay Cee's bass, I am very impressed. The bass sound so clean, it is a testament to Nino's setup. The Nordstrands sound extremely sweet, Nino is probably going to get swamped with orders just from these 2 basses alone. I'm going to have to definitely try the Nordstrand pickups sometime soon.
    I'm impressed, I gotta say.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh! and CONGRATULATIONS!!! :hyper:

4. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Mark,

Comgrats, and welcome to the Valenti family.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very nice. Congrats.:)

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Damn! Looks sweet, sounds sweet, what more can you ask for right? Congrats...

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Sounds and looks great!

8. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Nice playing and tone! Congrats on the bass, it's a beauty.

9. Awesome sounding and looking bass Bo... congrats. Those nordies do sound so nice.

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks for the kind words all, I really dig this bass!!!

11. Sweet bass man! Great playing, sounds a treat!

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    + 1
    So true.
    When a sweet bass lands in the hands of a talented player, all is right with the world.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Amazing bass!

14. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Love your new bass. Very nice and sounds beautiful.

Congrats!

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    (Drooling) BEAUTIFUL bass, man! Also, enjoyed the sounds clips - sounds great!

On a related note, it has been cool being able to watch a great builder like Nino's evolution on this board.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Looks great and sounds great. Congratulations. When you get an opportunity, I hope you will post a few samples of the bass in a band mix. I bet it will pop nicely.

Excellent.

17. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I should be recording in a week or so and I will post clips when I have them.

I also need to mention that this bass is super easy to play. Nino's set up is among the best I have ever had encountered. This thing practically plays itself.

18. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Sounds as great as it looks! Congrats!! I finally got the ball rolling on my Valenti. After reading all these threads I can't wait to have one of my own.:hyper:

Cheers,
    Jim

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I too have followed every Valenti thread just because I am really impressed with his work,and have had the opportunity to play a few of them. The possibility of me ever getting a chance to order one for myself is slim to none, so i just like watching other people create basses :)

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    That bass is just incredible looking, and the clips sound beautiful too. I love the matching headstock. There have been too many trans black basses around the boards recently.
    I want another one!!!