Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Valenti P-Bass review...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Oct 29, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Here is a copy of a letter I sent Nino today following last nights gig with my new bass. Mind you I just received the bass yesterday and it had never been plugged in up until the gig last night. So here is my review to him:::

Hey Anthony, so yesterday I picked up the bass from Joy's apartment. I opened it right there on the spot and it was even better in person than the pics. By the way, what kind of case is that? Its like the cadillac of guitar cases. Anyway, the fit and finish were perfect, the setup was perfect, hell, it even smelled good. I took off the control cavity and found the nice and tidy preamp mounted and 9v mounted. All very easily accessible. I played on it unplugged for a little bit and thought it resonated very nicely.

So I get to the bar/club and we are the headlining band for the night. I brought my backup bass just in case I couldnt get the new one dialed in that quick. Well, after taking the stage and plugging for soundcheck I found very good tones, very quickly in passive mode. I switched it over to active and it was like someone opened the flood gates. The bass went from strong traditional P tones to just a massive monster. I turned the bass and treble (on the guitar) completely flat and adjusted from there. I didnt have a lot of time to mess with EQ'ing the active side but I can tell the range and the pure power from this bass is going to be crazy. The neck felt very very good as well and had no intonation problems whatsoever.

I played the entire gig last night in passive mode and everyone in the audience said it was a very deep muscular sound. I cant wait until I have more time to tweak the active side to my liking because I think that it will be great for a solo boost or for very heavy parts of the music. I had 3 people walk up and ask "what the hell that thing was". So of course I told them who you were and directed them to your website.

Anyway, in summary this is definitely the best bass I have ever owned. Im currently playing through a pre/power setup with a BBE BMax/QSC PLX 1602 into an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. There is no telling how huge the sound would be with this bass through an 8x10, 4x12, or 2x15. Im almost scared to try it, lol.

Guys this bass rocks. It is very versatile with the Aggie OBP-1 on board and the Nordstrand P-pup is very big and meaty yet has great clarity.

I have another gig tonight at a club with a much bigger sound system. I have complete confidence in this bass. The lead singer/guitarist even commented in the middle of our set last night that it sounded extremely good.

2. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I was following the tread that had the pics of your new P-Bass - beatiful bass btw . Thanks for the review - I have been thinking about having Nino put one together much like yours but with PJ config and a 5er.

UsedtobeaBassist likes this.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

congrats on the new bass !
    Nino builds a great instrument , i know because i have one of his older basses . i love it !
    got any gig pictures ? :cool:

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Nino, when are you relocating to the UK??

Regards

Mike

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    actually I have a ton of pics from last nights gig and then I will have some pics from tonights gig also. I will probably post them tomorrow when I get a chance.

The pictures you saw in the last thread really dont do the bass true justice.

Even the case he sent it in was top notch.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was a nice review and after checking out the prices on the Valenti website, I am seriously considering ordering one of his basses. They are actually cheaper than a new Music man or G&L or even a Lakland Skyline!

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet!

Im glad you like the preamp since I helped talk you into it. When you say that you set the preamp flat you mean rolled all the way off right? That pre is seriously kick-***.

I agree about the casses too. I use mine all the time even if Im taking another bass out. Its pretty ligh but has a lot of storage space and it protects the bass really well.

Im waiting for pics from the show.

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Doc, yeah I will be the first person to bash a piece of gear I dont like so this kind of review coming from me is pretty special.

Im going to try and get some extra time tonight before we go on to mess with the active side of things. Ive never heard such range on the G string of a P-bass before. I can get the regular P-bass G tone all the way to a crisp hi fi trebley sound.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wow!!!! Talk about making someone's weekend!!!!!!

Thank you very much for the VERY kind words. Makes Nick Man's review seem lame. LOL ;)

:bag:

I do have to say that I'm not much of a P bass fan but the Nordstrand NP4 with the Aguilar OBP-1 sounded FANTASTIC. I can't wait to hear AJBrowns 5 string wuth the Nord NJ5's with the OBP-3. Carey's making great pickups!!!!!!

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Unfortunately, I forgot to tke more pictures of the bass before I shipped it but here are a few:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    FedEx baby. :)

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    :spit:

13. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

so jealous!

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    That sticker reads:

"DANGER. This bass will kick asses, so don't pick it up if you can't come strong to the table. Beatch."

15. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    lol, actually yes, except for the "beatch" part.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

I especially liked the "Beatch" part! This one got a good laugh from me. Thanks man.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nino, time to update the website with a galleries section.

18. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah hey Nino, feel free to use pics of my bass on your site to display your work.

If you want I can send you some pics of me playing it live also. I mean studies show that people seeing me in pics automatically generates sales anyway. lol :help:

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Id just like to point out how much I hate Nino.

I just priced out a bass on his site and it came to £666. Thats less than I payed for my Fender, and its a Valenti. :(

Damn you Nino, you and Valenti. :p

So just a heads up here, when I get a proper job (15 y/o) and the GAS for a new bass I might just have to order something simliar to MascisMans, but with more of a modern look. :D

20. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    you wont be disappointed Jack, Im as giddy as a little school girl