1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New versions of childrens songs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JehuJava, Jul 1, 2012.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So I have an 11 month old. Many of his toys play songs. But all the songs are bastardized versions of songs I grew up with. I mean I'm all for kinder and gentler, but to rewrite songs so that everything in life sounds lovely? What about the heritage of our children's songs? Americana, no?

Example:
    The wheels on the bus...

You get to the part where the mommas on the bus go "shush, shush, shush...shush, shush, shush." and it's the mommas on the bus go "I love you, I love you?".

Really?

Or...

The part where the daddies on the bus go "humph, humph, humph...humph, humph, humph!" and now it's "I love you, I love you." again!

***?

Am I the only one the prefers the standard, historically correct version of children's songs?

What do you guys think?

2. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    The drunken sailor has now been changed to the grumpy pirate, baa baa black sheep to rainbow/ethnic sheep.

3. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Ugh! Drunken sailor is a classic!

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    100% true. That's why I've switched to gangsta rap. Telling it like it is.

5. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I just listened to grumpy pirate and baa baa rainbow sheep on the net... We're doomed!

6. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania

A lot of songs that we now consider to be "children's" originally contained lyrics about the darker side of life. When I got involved in the traditional folk community several years ago, I was amazed to learn just how many song lyrics had been modified to be child-friendly.

I supposed I shouldn't have been surprised, given that for a big chunk of human history, what we now know as childhood didn't really exist. Kids were treated as miniature adults and exposed to a lot of experiences that modern Western societies deem inappropriate.

I prefer the older lyrics because I find it interesting how many of them contain themes that are still relevant today. The more things change and all that.

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Gangsta rap .. From childrens songs? Wierd progression

8. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    There's a funny itsy bitsy spider in reggae rap form