Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Victor Bailey & Bill Laswell

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jerry, Oct 29, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There are a couple cool new releases this week from
    Victor Bailey & Bill Laswell..........the Laswell is a live one from Japan called 'Charged live'.....very cool live Laswell using some very nice effects! The Victor Bailey album has some great stuff on it, but as usual has a couple songs I'm not crazy about.

p.s. No comment on the new Brian Bromberg " Jaco" album........I might use it like JimK uses the Weather Report tribute album:D

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Coaster material, eh?
    It's been awhile since I've bought a Bromberg album(he is a monster player).

I guess I will get the Bailey cd(finally) now that it's a domestic release.

Any more details regarding the Laswell disc?

Did the Coltrane re-issue of A Love Supreme come out today, too?

Next week, I have my eyes on 2 re-issues:
    Robin Eubanks-Different Perspectives
    Strata Institute-Cipher Syntax

...love these M-Base kinda guys! ;)

3. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bromberg IS a monster player.......but in recent years his electric albums have fallen in to the happy jazz catogory for me. And I have mixed emotions about the Jaco project. The Laswell disc is very Miles Davis like[70's live Miles] The new Love Supreme is out, I just haven't gotten it yet:(

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just you 'n me in here, Jerry-

I checked out the personnel on that Laswell disc. Hamid Drake on cans? I'm sold.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was put off Bill Laswell after seeing him with Jah Wobble's last project, live in my home town - I was very disappointed and it was the first gig for ages I have walked out on - after about 20-30 minutes!!

Laswell soloed constantly, but with a very nasty sound and with very little imagination or interest - maybe I have been "spoiled" by listening to too much from great Jazz improvisers ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW, I'm gonna try to pick up Charged Live...Jerry's '70s electric Miles comparison is right on.
    The recently re-issued Corea Complete IS Sessions also sorta fits the '70s Miles vibe(the rhythmn section, after all, is the same...Corea, Holland, & DeJohnette).

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Picked up Charged Live today.
    Friggin' awesome.
    Drake is more in backbeat Funk mode(I'm used to hearing him in Free Jazz mode...he's a nasty Reggae drummer, too).
    Track 2, "Fathoms", begins with a nice turntable/scratch solo by dj disk. Very rhythmic!

...and I just ordered fisherman's.com by Akira Sakata & Bill Laswell. On guitar is one Pete Cosey.

The Strata Institute & Robin Eubanks I mentioned above also arrived yesterday. Happenin' s***, IMO.
    I bought both from www.cheap-cds.com
    I am a little befuddled over the way these discs are packaged...both are in a generic black box with an equally generic white label with red & black lettering. Inside is the "original" booklet.
    Not sure if this is some sorta "limited" edition...or whether it's some sorta boot.
    Nevertheless, it's a cool Spartan look(I imagine maybe discs are sold like this in a Communist Bloc country?). ;)
    Really, I dunno...

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    F*&cking Pete Cosey!!!!!.........with Laswell!!!!!!!!
    Too Cool!!!! Jim, is that Strata Institute a rerelease? I think I have that one.......I love M-Base stuff:D It seems that movement has died down a little in the last few years:(

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    Yeah, the Strata Institute is a re-issue; it's their 1st of 2 albums(I got 'em both...Cypher Syntax is a little more "energetic" than the follow-up, IMO).

The Cosey & Laswell disc is one that fellow TB-er Dave B. mentioned to me awhile ago.
    I was reminded of it while surfing over @jazzcorner.
    The only place I could find fisherman's.com was over at DMG or Downtown Music Gallery outta NYC.
    NO INTERNET ORDERS, ya gotta call or e-mail them.
    This disc is on back order...they say I should see it in about 3 weeks.
    Oh yeah, it's an import($23).

URL = www.dtmgallery.com

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm a BIG FUN, er uh FAN oof 70's Miles.

for years, especially in the 70's, jazzers hated that period.

funny, how now brown cow.

Agharta, Pangea, Dark Magus!!!

YUMMY.

my fave laswell is still MASSACRE/Killing Time and Baslines...

oh and Material's MEMORY SERVES!

f

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the PM Jim. The last time I tried to order it, they were out of stock and not sure when they would get any more copies. I'll drop them an e-mail this week. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the DTM Gallery also sells 'On The Beach' by Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble. Cohran was a longtime trumpeter for Sun Ra, I believe, and this album is sort of big band afro-funk from the late '60s. On guitar is a pre-Miles Pete Cosey.

A review:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=A6bktk6jxrkrf

That Victor Bailey album's been out in Europe for months. There was a thread about it. Nothing mind-blowing, but pretty solid stuff.

The deluxe 'A Love Supreme' is on my Christmas list, along with plenty of Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That WR tribute album was widely misunderstood. The arrangements were stellar and with the personel on hand, there wasn't a weak song on the dics. On of my favorite recent...

aw, who am I kidding. That was some happy jazz.

:D

13. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    funny, I had an experience very similar to Bruce's..

I saw him with Third Rail a few years ago. He was actually louder than Blood! he drowned out everyone at the knitting factory....

and another time he was playing with Praxis (too loud again) and trying to force the groove. :rolleyes:

You fake the funk your nose will grow....come on, everyone knows that!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - my impression of seeing him live was that he's a good producer who maybe should stick to the day-job? ;)

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    fisherman's.com arrived. First impression:
    Honestly, I expected a lot more outside/chromatic/angular/polyrhythmic Funk from these guys(especially Drake & Cosey).
    Cosey, IMO, does not get the chance to go off(as I had hoped).

Definitely not 'coaster-material', though; I'll spin it again.
    The vibe on this disc alsmost reminds me of Spaceways, Inc. That's another Hamid Drake group(along with Ken Vandermark-sax & Joe McBride-bass).

Bruce-
    I have always liked Laswell's production vs. his actual bass playing.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the comments. It is now on my Christmas list,owing to my current lack of funds (student!).

Still, any Pete Cosey is better than no Pete Cosey. Apparently, his Children of Agharta project will be releasing a CD next year. It seems as though he is finally trying to get his act together. I do wonder what the reason for his 20 years + "exile" was...

I do have a couple of mp3s of Spaceways Inc and the Ken Vandermark Five (all legitimate!). I haven't listened to them in a long time, but from what I remember, I wasn't impressed with KV's saxophone on the Spaceways material.

17. I like Bill Laswell's playing on PIL's Album eg. the fretless line on "rise".

re. Jah Wobble, to be honest I don't really like anything he's done apart from his work on early PIL, and his Invaders of the heart single "visions of you".

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i picked up the bailey disc last week and just like his previous discs there's stuff i love and then other tracks that sound like filler. nothing but net,the rope a dope, and thats right were strong enough to not regret paying full price though.