Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Victor Wooten Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alexander, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Anybody out there heard this double album yet? I have seen Victor and his brothers play more times than I could count and really enjoyed the shows. I picked up Show of Hands when it came out a few years ago and didn't like it (unfortunately). The new one shows some promise...

2. which cd are you talking about? yin and yang or live in america?

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry - Live in America

4. i don't have it as of right now but it should be here tomorrow. i'll post a review as soon as i get it.

5. I bought Live in America a few weeks ago.
    To be perfectly honest, I found it quite disappointing. The playing is at times certainly great, and for the most part mighty impressive. But (for my taste) there are way too many vocals !!!!!

I have never seen Victor as a solo act, only with Bela Fleck. And I also must admit to not owning any of his solo albums, so maybe I am just to ignorant to know there would be so much singing.

Maybe it's just me, but I want to hear him play, not sing.

6. i actually happen to hate his singing. with the yin and yang album thought, it was neatly divided into voacl and instrumental which was just perfect.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've seen his show and there was more than a fair share of vocal tunes. I saw Divinity (who is on Alive in America) and thought her rapping/bass playing was interesting and something I could get into. It's nice to see rap with real instruments.

Wooten's amazing as a player but his composing isn't of the highest caliber, IMO. The vocal tunes give the guy's thumb a rest, which I'm sure he appreciates. also, it must help him get a wider fan base than just, er, bass players.:cool: