1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Video & Soundclips: Tom Clement Fretless vs. Fender AmDlx FMT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Yay, new video! Just comparing the tones of my two basses! Check it out and let me know what you think :).

2. Love the hair man, great sounds, the first clip with the Jazz is really great.

Are you new to fretless?

A few grooves right on the bottom string would be cool, trying to hear if you can cop a more 'fretted' sound.

3. Nice !! Tell me more about that clement 5 !!

4. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Can i you tell us which delano pickups you have in your jazz bass!

Man they sound GREAT!!

great playing too!

5. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Excellent !!! Thanks for the comparisons.

6. Thanks for the comments guys, it means a lot :).

Here are the specs on both basses.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz FMT V

BODY:: Alder
    TOP:: Quilted Maple
    NECK:: Maple
    FINGERBOARD:: Pau Ferro, white binding w/ MOP Blocks
    PICKUPS:: Delano JC 5HE dual in-line humcancelling jazz pickups
    PREAMP:: Bartolini HR-4.7A/P 3-band preamp with 3-way mid-selector (250/500/800Hz)
    SCALE:: 34 inch. 22 frets
    STRING SPACING:: 18mm
    STRINGS:: DR Nickel Sunbeams

Tom Clement 5

BODY:: Ash
    NECK:: Maple
    FINGERBOARD:: Bloodwood
    PICKUPS:: Nordstrand DC
    PREAMP:: None
    SCALE:: 34 inch. 24 frets markers
    STRING SPACING:: 19mm
    STRINGS:: La'Bella Deep Talkin' Flats

I love my hair too unfortunately my parents... not so much. They think it's unbecoming :p! I'm pretty new to fretless bass. I had a fretless Schack maybe 4-5 months ago that I really liked but didn't play much so playing the Clement took a bit of work. It was fun though and it sounds great!

I actually tried to avoid avoid grooves on the B string because I don't like when other people do it... I don't know exactly why though. I guess I could included some grooves that incorporate the B. If it's any consolation, both basses have completely even sounds across all strings :). I thought I might do another video for the Fender specifically doing muted and P-bass style grooves and a little chording. You can get a bit more of a fretted sound by leaving the tone control completely off. In the video it was maybe 50% up.

7. SnakeStone77

SnakeStone77

Jan 15, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Both those bass tones were right up my alley! I thought that Clement had a sweet natural fretless tone!

8. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    That sounded great! I love your post's and your insight into bass. How did you record that stuff. I am new to digital recording and just curious how hard it is to do something like what you just did. Again thanks, keep up the playing!

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I couldn't get the video to load up on my computer, but I thought I'd mention that I also own a Fender AM Dlx. jazz and a Clement fretless.

I really like the jazz a lot; it would seem to stack up well against a lot of the boutique clones.

However, I absolutely LOVE the Clement and it's my main player!

I think my Clement is to me what Lucille is to BB King.

10. Nice!!!!! All sound very good to me!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Kwesi, that was a very nice clip!:) My only criticism is that all of the fretted sections featured a backbeat and all of the fretless samples swung. It would have been good to show how the fretted bass swung and how the fretless could handle the backbeat.

12. Thanks again guys! I'm thinking the next video will be a demo of my rig, suggested to me by our own KJung :). Maybe a week or two till that though. It'll be with a new camera with a much better external mic.

Thanks, that means a lot! The whole thing together isn't difficult either it just takes a bit of patience the way I do it. Everything is recorded live and synced up later when I edit the video. The audio goes into Ableton Live thru my AudioFire4 and the video into a Canon Powershot SD750 (upgrading soon).

Haha, then you know how great they sound even without the video! But, you might want to try updating to the latest flash player if videos on youtube are acting funny for ya.

Thanks! The difference is mostly due to boredom, lol. After recording the Fender I got tired of hearing the same drum beat over and over again so I decided to switch it up a bit with the Clement. Maybe I'll do another later with the Fender swingin' and the Clement groovin' a little more. Rest assured both can do either with ease!

13. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Nice clips! The Delanos sound very nice, crisp and detailed.

What kind of wood is the fingerboard on your Clement fretless?

14. Sounds good.

That Tom Clement has a hell of a lot of mwah!:D

There is no such thing as a passive preamp though.:hyper:

15. That's exactly why I got those specific pups :). The fingerboard on the Clement is Bloodwood.

You know, I know this but I didn't want to put "preamp:: none" because I thought that would confuse a lot of people. Despite that I went ahead and changed it just to be factually accurate :p

16. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    yeah that Clement is crazy awesome sounding.

17. You knows, it's funny that so many people have commented on the tone of the Clement! I've only had this bass for a weekish and I thought my not-so-awesome fretless playing would eclipse the real awesomeness of this bass. I've gotta say, that doesn't seem to be the case, thankfully :)

18. Oh wow,
    I just watched the video a second time, and I had forgot that you said the Clement had flats on it by the time you started playing it the first time.

That sounds great for flats! It's not dead at all.

19. Haha, I know right? This made me 180 my position on flats.