1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Vintage Amp Purchase = TaySte Happy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 1, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Here are my new babies

2zzizb8.

14ki9hk.

10dsbau.

wj6hzl.

So basically the low down on these is they are 2 1970's 100w 4 channel PA heads and a 4x12. The 4x12 is a bit butchered the guy that owned it couldn't fit the original cab in his car so he took the speaker out of it and the grill and made a new smaller cab, so I may look in the future at getting a cab made to the original specs since I have most of the original material but the speakers are 75w each and 15ohm wired in series don't know whether it is worth rewiring to make it a more workable ohmage but the heads are capable of 15 and 7.5 so they will work fine with my 8ohm cabs (Euphonics Audio NM410, CXL112).

So on to the heads at the moment I've only plugged in the MKII the Orange one apparently they are both the same electronically except the MKII has an effects loop. The MKII through that 4x12 was thunderous all the EQ is passive and I had to cut the bass it was just silly, simply fantastic can't wait to get them hooked up to something a bit more modern and efficient.

So my plan now is to take them to a tech get the old illegal plug sockets replaced with IEC's, get any caps that need it replaced and probably completely re-tube it and put the old functional tubes away in a draw since they are probably Mullards (Can't confirm will I open it up) and I don't see the point in wasting them on my current gigs :p.

The thing with these heads is they are clean, not sterile but tube clean think studio mic preamp etc so guitarists hate them and since guitarists seem to have the big say in the vintage tube amp market these amps aren't popular at all, I picked these up for a very good price and while they'll need a bit of work to be giggable still a bargain and since they are clean perfect for bass and if you really crank them then you get a more gritty sound

I did manage to crank it up and get a sweet sweet distortion that I've never been able to get with my Mesa 400+ you know because that would kill you :D so these might be perfect for the studio with a Powersoak/Attenuator.

Here is a bit of new and old

4ujewg.

and one artsy one for good luck

1f8t4y.

I'll post some pics of the inside when I open one up

Just thought I'd share

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nice score. I've got an old Clark Music tube PA head that I picked up for next to nothing. I love my all-tube Mesa/Boogie rig, but nothing comes close to that Clark head for that natural, overdriven tube sound.

3. Hi, TaySte.

Thank's for sharing, they look awesome.

Nothing beats old tube equipment for smaller gigs, for PA as well. IMHO of course.

Since those heads are vintage in original condition, and the power sockets are probably three prong miniatures anyway, I'd think twice about routing a new hole for the IECs if I were You. I'd never in my wildest dreams could replace the power socket in my late 60's vintage Marshall PA top to anything other than maybe a straight cord without any connector. I'm even hesitant to (and won't) drill a hole for the missing echo (FX) socket. This head of mine might be one of the few without one?

Subscribed and waiting for the pics of the internals :).

Edit: You've probably already found this, but here's the possible schematics:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/simmswatts_100w_pa100.pdf

Regards
    Sam

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Cool. I would think that you would be talking DC resistance on the drivers and not impedance though, given those numbers.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well they take Belgin I think it is which is now illegal in the UK since they killed so many people, I've had a word with collectors and they've said putting IEC on it doesn't decrease the value and from the hole thats there for the original I could fit on in with no modification I think, just seems the collectors aren't that keen on the power leads that kill :D.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    What's the difference?

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    A DC resistance for a driver with a nominal 8-ohm impedance spec typically falls between 5 and 7 ohms. That's what you actually would measure when using a bog standard multimeter/ohmmeter. Similarly, 4 and 16-ohm drivers have a lower DC resistance than their actual impedance spec.

8. Hi.

Excellent points. And judgin' by the size, it's the larger one, not the 12mm or so?

For me, anything not manufactured by the Prince Of Darkness (Not OZZY ;)) is fine.

Regards
    Sam

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Inside the silver head

10p4yuv.

2w68i6q.

2hdsg3m.

Inside the orange head

ebf0c9.

so7g47.

Can you say Mullard :D

vgrfra.

So since all the tubes in the Orange one are different I'm gonna get that completely revalved, not sure on the Silver one since I was told it wasn't working right when I bought it and I haven't fired it up I know there is a matched Quad in there but they appear to be unlabeled

Also noticed on the Orange one, one of the caps has been changed but they look pretty new in both heads so no biggy.

Enjoy

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very cool, and quite unusual. Love that.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So what do you guys think should I load it with EL34's if so which brand or go for some KT77's and get up to 140watts out of each head?

Ideas please

12. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    That's cool!

13. Hi.

My vote goes for the EL34.

Sam