1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Voodoo Lab Superfuzz Soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=8220385

A blues pattern using the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz just like I did the Sun Face, straight into a power amp, mic'ing the speaker. You can immediately tell that this pedal could benefit more from the fatness the preamp can add than the Sun Face. But as for some rough fuzzy distortion, this pedal does the trick.

Settings on the pedal are Resonance (Bass) and Tone (Mids) maxed, Attack (Fuzz) at 9 o'clock. Volume to taste. So check it out and let me know what you think, I've been using this pedal pretty extensively, it's not the best at retaining the low frequencies, but it is quite dynamic and plays extremely well with my other effects, better perhaps than anything else I've found with the specific pedals I'm using now.

2. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I was just going to say, "wheres the low end," haha.

Sounds great but ya, a pre amp or an EQ of some sort could definitely help it out. Sounds like theres lots of potential there though. Nice mid range to boot

Is the Voodoo Labs Fuzz based off of another fuzz or is it its own thing?

3. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    It's based on Super Fuzz ;)

4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Actually, it's based on the Jordan Electronics Bosstone fuzz.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    looks like we have a conundrum

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Not really--check the Voodoo Lab website.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    It's based on the Jordan Boss Tone. The vintage Superfuzz, which the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz is not related to in any way, is a totally different beast, with a much gnarlier fuzz that also can provide octave up tones. The Jordan Boss Tone is more like an early distortion pedal from ca. 1968 than a balls out gnarly fuzz.

8. Sounds sweet !
    They are indeed not claming to make an exact copy of the Jordan Boss Tone.

9. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    Speaking of which, will you ever demo a Superfuzz clone?

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, if I buy one I will. But I'm not planning on buying one. I just don't need the octave in there, it'll be hard to do a lot of the things I do with that octave in there, though it would be great for some things too, but I like the Proctavia for octave fuzz. However there is some superfuzz clone out there that I saw recently that allows you to turn the octave off. Can't remember which one though. That would be tempting.

11. Have you ever checked out a Wattson Superfuzz or Creepy Fingers Harakiri?

I am curious as to how this compares to the Voodoo Lab.

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well the Voodoo Lab is not a Superfuzz at all but a Jordan Bosstone. I'd expect it'd have nothing in common with the Watson or Creepy Fingers.

13. Schooled!

Ok, how about this: Do you prefer the tone of the Bosstone to a Super fuzz?

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    If I could have one appropriately modded for bass I would prefer the Bosstone. There's a pedal I'd like to try, and my guitar player wants to get one (after seeing the guitarist in another of my friend's bands use one) called the Bag of Dicks. The Bosstone is more like a 1968 distortion that a fuzz. Check out the Bag of Dicks:

15. I also prefer Distortion over fuzz, or a hybrid of the two. That BOD clip sounds great. I would love to hear it on bass...