new vs used amp/speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    just found a peavey 4x10 on ebay for a great price! hopefully it won't go up too much. i was planning on getting a nice brand new amp and cabinet to replace my very old peavey combo 300 but i think i'd rather save $500 and get them on ebay. is there any disadvantage of buying a used amp/cabinet as opposed to new?
  2. The only thing i can think of is:

1. If you don't like it, there's not (I don't think) a warranty. (Although you can sell it)

2. It might not work at all

That's all I can think of. Also it most likely will be scratched a little, but lets not be picky. Now the <b>ad</b>vantages.

1. It costs a lot less than buying new, simply because someone owned it prior to your purchase.

2. If you sell it, you can get about the same amount (if not more!) of money that you bought it for.

I would say go for the used. They both have the same amount of pros and cons but I think that it not working is extremely unlikely. Also, you CAN sell it.
  3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Used gear can be a great deal, you can save alot of money but e-mail and ask why its for sale and if it has had any repairs. I sold all my old road gear on e-bay and it went fine, but check it out first, good luck !
  4. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    hmm now i need to find an amp that can do around 500 watts at 8 ohms...any more suggestions on this one?
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The only downside to buying used cabs is the fact that they do lose some of thier crispness after being used for a long time.

A new cab will have speakers that will need breaking in just like a new pair of shoes. After a long enough time, they may be a little floppy.

I use a SWR 2X10 and the sound, when new was bright and punchy almost to a fault. After about a year, the same cab is starting to mellow out and get a warmer sound.

Knowing that, I still would buy used. I wouldn't buy without trying though.

You probably would notice the difference in sound between a set of speakers that were gigged regularly at high volume levels and a set of identical speakers that had only been used for at home practice or studio work.