Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Warmoth Bass... Pickup config?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Demens, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I am just about to order a Warmoth Gecko 5 (Walnut body/wenge neck) and I was wondering if people here could help me out (I'm a new poster... hope this isnt too annoying to answer).

I need to try and decide upon which pickup/preamp combo I should purchase. I am going to get Bartolini pickups, but I'm not sure what model.

Does two of Bartolinis soapbar pickups give more control of tone than their jazz pickups?

and

What can anyone tell me about a good preamp for Bartolinis? I talked to a guy at Bass Emporium (www.bassemporium.com ), and he recommended getting a Bartolini preamp instead of an Aguilar OP-3 because it would compliment the Bartolini pickups better. So, is this true? And if so, what is a good Bartolini preamp to look at?

Thanks for your time.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Whatever you do, get a common pickup shape. By that I mean J's or say EMG40 sized, so that you can change them out easily for other brands / models.

Before you decide, look at Smash's pickup test (top of this page) and luknfur's Dimento's tests

Some of the Bart (and other brands) offer different coil tapping options on some of their models. This gives the potential of different tones, but some of them may not be of use to you.
    The easy answer is 'the one you like best'. They all sound different, we all hear differently and have different expectations. For example, in your bass, you might prefer Barts with and EMG pre. There is no special magic from using a Brand A pre with only Brand A pickups. Read everything you can, and make your best gut hunch selection, unless you're willing to buy a few pre's/pups secondhand and try them out.

Based on your wood selections, my gut is going more towards EMGs all round, based on peoples previous posting with wenge/dark timber basses like Warwicks often benefiting from EMGs.