New Warwick bass, wax question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickFan, Feb 7, 2005.

1. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Hello all, just got myself a new Corvette standard a couple weeks ago and so far I love it. Now the manual says wax the body, but what about the back of the neck and the fingerboard. Should I wax there too?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

No, don't wax the neck or fingerboard.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Naa dont put it any place but the body! I rub mine in circles on the body and let it dry! Maybe 10 min the buff off. Take care not to let it build up around the pickups. Kinda hard to dig it out later
  4. Sorry to go against the grain guys (geddit) :p

But I remember reading this article on woodcare from Warwick's site itself, and have thus always rubbed some wax into the neck (obviously NOT the fretboard) of my FNA Jazzman 5.

As the article says - this seals & protects the wood. :D

Another official Warwick article says you *should* wax your neck to prevent cracking (!!!). Although I know it does not mention this in the Owner's Manual, it scared me so I've always done it. :eek:
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

My understanding is that the minute moisture from your hands (even if they aren't sweaty) keeps the neck from cracking. Course I have never waxed my Vette and it's it going on a over a year of ownership, not to mention the time it spent in store. I just really don't buy into the whole waxing thing, granted in MS we have a ton of moisture so body cracking from getting to dry is almost impossible. If I lived in Palm Desert, CA or Phoenix, Arizona I probably would wax it.
  6. This is what I do,
    Wax the body
    Wax back of neck - (not as often as I do the body and not as much wax applied)
    Lemoil on the fretboard.

I basically do this as needed as I can tell when either of these parts of the warwick are drying. Warwicks advice about the sweat from your hand will be enough oil to keep the neck from drying out has never made sence to me. Some guys wouldnt even play past the 5th fret their whole bass playing life. Its all relative - just dont let it dry out :)
  7. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I wax body, neck and fingerboard of my 1989 Thumb once a month, as Warwick told me when I asked directly to them.

BTW, my Warwick is a real stunning beauty, despite it's 16 years old.

Waxing prevent wood from cracking, and all wooden parts can suffer if they can't retain the right amount of moisture.
  8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    no problem at all to wax the whole bass, including the fretboard. Juts make sure you wipe of the excess and polish the waxed surfaces so wax doesn't build up around the frets for example.

9. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I do all this except back of the neck.. I take the strings off wax the body, and then lemon oil on the fretboard, but since ive heard all this ''drying out'' talk, i might consider putting a tad of wax on the neck.. Thanks! :bassist:
  10. OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Not to necropost or anything, I did a search to get this!

Where do you acquire wax with which to wax your Warwick? I've got a used one coming in the mail and it doesn't have any wax with it.
  11. Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Waxing? My girlfriend said something to me yesterday about that.....and she doesn't play bass.
  12. You should be able to find it at any place selling Warwick basses. I bought some off Ebay a while back. I have also used 'Minwax' paste wax in the past and it worked fine.
  13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I use Howard's Feed 'n Wax on the the bodies, necks and occasionally the fretboards of all my basses including my Corvette Std. fretless 5. All of my basses have naturaal wood finishes. It has a high % of orange oil and a nice wax for protection.
  14. I use Howard too.

I don’t wax very often, but when I do:
    > For bodies, I use Howard Feed-N-Wax (natural beeswax and orange oil)
    > For necks and fingerboards, I use Howard Orange Oil (orange oil, no wax)

The Howard products are aimed at restoring and preserving wood, including unfinished wood. They do not contain silicone or linseed oil, both of which can be problematic with unfinished wood. They do have petroleum distillates, but I think that all of the wood treatments contain them.

I ordered both Howard products from for less than six bucks for a generous 16-oz bottle.
  15. This is great info all :D

I recently rescued an abused Warwick Corvette STD that has NEVER been oiled or waxed. I was bummed out to find that the Warwick brand wax could not be found anywhere but through mail order, and I cannot wait to restore her to her former glory.

Home Depot here I come! :hyper:
  16. SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    I find oil better than wax. Wax is a bit sticky.
  17. Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I do everything but the finger board everytime it feels like it's getting dry or dirty.
    which reminds me I need to order more.
  18. Official Ninja

Official Ninja

Oct 21, 2009
    New Jersey
    My 01 Thumb was pretty dry looking when I picked it up.

A little Murphy's Oil on all the wood and it is beautiful!