Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Warwick Jack Bruce bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay then, eversince the news of a Cream Reunion becamme heard people have been wondering if Jack Bruce would be playing his old Gibson EB3 Basses again or wether he would stick with his Warwick Thumb basses he has been playing for a while now.

When I bought the German magazine "Gitarre und Bass" I found out.

Apparently Bruce wanted to have a combination of his Warwicks and Gibsons, According to the text the bass has a Bubinga body with a spatled Bubinga top, a long scale ovankol neck with 24 frets, two MEC Gibson-style humbuckers develloped esspecially for this bass and a slightly enlarged SG shape.

The resulting bass actually looks a bit like a Wal bass.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Here's another pic:

[​IMG]

Looks very cool. Is this just a one-off deal for him, or will these be available to the public?

3. hahah. its true and. that thing is cool i would try it out.

4. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    From what I read, these will be a limited edition and if they sell well it could well be a regular production model.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought of Wal before reading your post,after seeing the pic. I think its kinda weird looking. Oh well.

6. Worst Warwick ever...

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree, looks very cool... seems like the pups are actually wide-aperture single coils, like DarkStars.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    pretty awesome looking but the headstock doesn't like right with it.

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'm not real fond of the spalted top, but other than that, it's like, totally kick-ass... :D

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Hah! That's very cool and slightly humorous.

11. I didn't know Spalted Bubinga existed. That's so cool. I want one.

12. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    That Gib-Wick is F-UGLY. I'm sure their Fen-Wick, Rickey-Wick, and Music-Wick frankenbasses will be just as gruesome. Not to mention that the Specto-Wick is a crime in-and-of itself. You can't just bolt a 2"x4" to any bass body and call it good.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not exactly what I would consider a "2x4" what with the inlaid wood top, custom pickups, and custom shape, but different strokes I guess.

That said, I love the shape, but I think a 20 or 21 fret neck would have suited the bass better. If it is made in a production model I would be very interested. Seems to be where my style and tone are heading these days (lofi bassy tones and over-active bass work).

14. Ha!
    I think it's great, it's goin to sound like a cave-dwelling troglodyte when fired up!

Reckon he'll dig out the old Marshalls as well? :bassist:

15. Ha!
    I think it's great, it's goin to sound like a cave-dwelling troglodyte when fired up!

Reckon he'll dig out the old Marshalls as well? :bassist:

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    He'll be using a Hartke head with the Hartke cabs that have paper cones. It was announced by Hartke recently.

17. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Nice.... but I'd rather have a Wal....

same with their 'Streamers'... I'd rather have a Spector... ;)

18. I think that's a pretty good-looking Warwick. Certainly more "traditional" than their other designs. I'm realy digging it, actually.