New Warwick:new E and B strings won't fit thru the bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vanman, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    I recently bought a warwick corvette standard. I just tried to put on new strings (DR loRiders) and the B(130) and the E (105) won't fit thru the bridge! I just searched around and can't find any discussion about this problem. The strings are a little thicker toward the ball of the string. (The width of the rest of the string fits, just not where it needs to... at the ball) I just looked at a set of Earnie Ball's and it's the same problem... argh!
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

Don't corvettes have the two peice bridge that requires no insertion?
  3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow. First I've seen of this. Time to get out the drill bit... no kiddin'. IMHO, this could be done by just carefully reaming out the hole with a drill bit that already fits thru. Put the drill on SLOW if it's a dual range drill, and make sure you have a brand new (sharp) bit. Alternatively, you could probably put a reamer bit from a dremmel tool in the chuck and try that, as well. Again, IMHO!! :)
  4. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    yeah it's a 2 piece bridge but the end of the string has to fit in (or thru)the first piece
  5. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Drilling is one option, but you must be very careful. An alternate option is to use a pair of flat face pliers, and use them on the ball end of the string to make it just flat enough to fit through the bridge. Just watch out, you have to do it in the direction that the core wraps around the ball, otherwise it will damage the string.

I have a Thumb BO 5, and run into the same problem when i change strings. Thats how i solve it.

You can drill though. The answer i gave you is from the warwick website. Heres the link:

You can also email their tech corner with any problems/concerns you have and theyll answer you in no time. Good support.

Hope this help.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...or just switch to taper-wound strings, like Dean Markley SR2000s, Labella Super Steps, or Ken Smith sets with taperwound B strings.
  7. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanks for the info... but what a bummer. I'd hate to mess with drilling the bridge (and make a mistake)and tweaking every set of strings seems a bit of a hassle. I'll "plier" the strings for now... thanks
  8. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    Does anyone know if DR makes taper wounds?
  9. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    hey 5stringFanatic
    thanks for the Warwick link on "taper".
    I thought I might be going crazy cuz I couldn't find any info about on TB. Not such a big deal but it shocked me initially...bit of a hassle.. glad I didn't discover it on a gig
  10. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    lol, no problem. Before i bought my warwick, i went and searched on all the possible problems that people have and then i bought it, so i was already familiar with what i might have to deal with.

Replying to another post, DR do make tapered wounds. I use Hi Beamers on my Thumb. And even with taper wounds sometimes you would still need to flatten it a tad bit for it to go through the warwick bridge.

Glad i can be of help.
  11. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
  12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I had a similar problem with my Ibanez SR886, sometimes strings are just too thick :).

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I use a hammer or vise to make the ball on the B-string more oval, and smash the leader wrap to make it oval aswell so that the string will fit in the assembly. I use mainly DR-strings and havn't had any problems with using this technigues. IMHO, Warwick isn't conforming to normal string spec on their bridges.
  14. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    DR does make tapered strings. the best tapered strings I ever got for my Warwick were Pedullas. very nice. i do think its lame that I spent so much on a bass and now have to go out and get special tapered strings for it, or drill into the bridge.
  15. Vanman

Nov 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    no kidding....
    My first response was to start filling the bridge but a couple of minutes into it I started thinking,"This is crazy". It just didn't seem right. Such a nice instrument and here I am wacking away on an irreversable course. I've never had this problem on any other bass..I thought , maybe I just had a freak set of strings or the bridge was flawed... but it all seems to be the way it's designed... go figure. I love the bass so I'll figure it out
    I'll check out the pedullas
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The .105 E should go in no problems... but even a .125 B is too big.
    I have my Bs (DR Lo Riders) plied and carefully filed just a bit. I'm thinking about removing the tailpiece sometime soon and drilling it. Since my fav strings are not available here, I have to get them from Austria, so I frequently reuse the already-modded strings, so it's less of a problem for me ;)
  17. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think you should address this problem with Warwick. I think it's redicolous that you should have to mod the bass to get standard gauge strings through the bridge:rolleyes: I used 135 on my Warwick and I had the same problem, I had to buy a tapered string so it would fit.:confused:
  18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    GEEEEZ! I guess since they (Warwick) are aware of the problem, fixing it (during manufacturing) would just be too obvious. :rollno: :scowl:
  19. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    More likely because they want you to buy their strings which are designed to work well with their basses.

Cynical? perhaps.

I still think it's time other big manufacturer's got with the taper core programme tho. I rather fancy trying a set of roto billy sheehan 43's. As I'm finding warwick 45's a little too stiff, and 40's too spongy. But roto don't do a tapered low b to go with them. So i may have to mix brands for the low b which I don't particularly want to do.
  20. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Why don't they just make fatter sting holes for all basses?