Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Warwick Owner has Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Feb 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Just got my brand new Warwick Corvette Proline in Burgandy Red (one of the first in the US since the release). Played it at a gig on Friday with my band - LOVED the tone, but I have a few questions.

1. I went all over town looking for a straplok system that would fit this thing. The default screws that come with the bass are BIG, and neither Shaller or Dunlop straploks will fit it because the screw is much smaller than the hole already drilled in the bass. What are my options to get a good straplok system for this Warwick? What do you Warwick owners do for straploks since nothing seems to fit it?

2. One thing I noticed immediately, is that the back of the neck of this is silky smooth compared to my Yamaha. I know this is desireable, but I actually found it more difficult to play at first because my thumb slides right off the back a lot when playing. Is this something that will fade with time, or is it my playing style, or is it something I need to look into. Not having any "grab" on the back of the neck made it really hard for me to play on stage right away - my thumb was sliding all over the place when trying to mount and play some stuff.

Thanks for your help! I'll have pictures posted soon!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry, don't got any answers for you, but what I do have is a question! :)

How's the finish on your burgundy red 'vette? Is it similar to those Warwicks that have woody feel because of the oil(?) finish or is it painted or something(yuck)? And the most important, does it have the smell of wood like those other Warwicks do? :D

3. i have a thumb bass, and i put schaller strap locks on it because i like them better than dunlops.

all i did was use the screws that come with the strap locks.
    the first thing i did was break a small flat toothpick into the holes first to fill in the space. worked great for me.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Go to http://www.danabgoods.com
    I'm sure they can tell you where you can get straplocks for your Warwick, or you may be able to order straplocks directly from them.
    Their e-mail address is on their homepage.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    As you know, the screws that come with the Schallers, are too small for the holes in the bass. The screws of the Warwick are also too big for the straplock.

What I did, was get drill and CAREFULLY open up the hole in the Schaller strap button so the the Warwick screw goes through it easily. The only problem now is the screw head is too thick. You could either grind down the head so that it fits, or use some other screws of the same guage but smaller head.

I eventually got my straplocks on without too much fuss, and it is well worth the effort in the long run

Failing that. You know the pink rubber washers for Grolsch bottle top. They make excellent emoergency straplocks. You might have a job remembering the gig though.

6. that seems like a lot of work ga_edwards, the tooth pick remedy i posted works sweet and is easy.

had to do the same thing to my pedulla ten years ago and haven't had a single problem

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have had my corvette pro-line for about 2 years now!I orderd it!Mine came with it i think it was a special order thing but i agree with who ever said go to dana b goods!Or go to http://www.warwickbass.com i know you can get them special order but i think they are schaller brand!

8. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Thanks I'll check into this.

The toothpick idea just isn't reliable enough for me...the idea of a couple of toothpicks holding my $1250 bass from smashing on the floor is just not enough for me. :)

I'll check with Dana B Goods and see what they have to say...

To Tsal who was asking about the finish. It's BEAUTIFUL. I just played it at our first gig and all the musicians in the crowd came up to talk to me as soon as I put it on the stand. It has the flamed maple woody feel...not like bubinga at all (I like it a lot more than bubinga personally).

I'll post pics as soon as my comp quits messing up!

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The wenge neck would be rougher. My ovangkol neck is smooth. I know your finish is nice, but I love the natural wood finish on the standard. To each his own.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ya i lucked out on mine i got it awhile ago and its a 92 model it has swamp ash body that is just awsome!I also love the natural wood thing i love to baby it with the wax all the time! I always buy i all wood stained bass but i will tell you what i was watching mtv today and say a alice in chains video and he had a white streamer that looked ver cool!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nice to hear, I have been thinking of getting one in red otr perhaps in honey but I was afraid that it might not feel as those Warwicks with natural finishes.

12. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Go to a hardware store and buy a screw that will fit. Or machine the strap lock so the screw will fit, or vice versa. You have the recessed strap locks right? Surprisingly the tooth pick thing should work, it may seem flimsy but if you glue them in there should be enough outward force from the screw combined with glue to hold it in there. That should work fine as long as your not lifting the thing straight up with all of the bass's weight right on the one straplock, cuz that would usually pull normal screws out. I've found the best way to keep a strap on is just to tape it on there with tape that isn't too harmful. If you tape the strap on there's no chance of cracking the wood either, because the weight is more spread out. If you get stick-em left on put some wd40 SPARINGLY on a paper towel and rub gently. Be sure wash off the area after your done. I'd only do the wd40 thing if have a hard lacquer finish on it, other wise you can try it but be very careful not to remove the finish.

13. I've found that in many cases the holes are (very slightly) too big for the screws which come with the Schaller strap-locks, and so I've used either toothpicks (or shaved-down matchsticks) coated in wood glue to pad out the hole. Very simple, and most effective.

Reminds me of a song - how does it go again?
    "I'm standin' on the corner, a matchstick holdin' my strap..."

- Wil

14. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    COME ON MAN YOU CANT COMPARE A YAMAHA WITH A WARWICK. YAMAHA IS A CHEAP ASS COMPANY THAT MAKES EVERYTHING FROM BASSES TO BIKES JUST TO GET MONEY.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I smell Troll....but anyway - Yamaha makes some great basses and I'd prefer a TRB5P or TRB6P with piezo bridge and neck-through to any Warwick I've ever tried - they are more expensive than most Warwicks as well!! ;)

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    lmao, this is hilarious, a dude laughing at things that happened more than a year ago.

:D :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think he just searched for threads with "Warwick" in the title without sorting by most recent first! ;)

18. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    holy crap this thing is a year old??? i just became a member like 3 days ago im still learnig about the site but anyway yamaha is crap compare to warwick, and most warwicks cost more then yamahas yamas lowest priced bass is what like 130 bucks warwicks is what 800. just a lil diffrence :D

19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Accually, Yamaha makes high end basses that can push $3,000. They are great instruments. And, you can buy a cheap, crappy wick' for $500. Prices vary greaty in mass-produced instruments. After you play for a few years, you'll figure all this out.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.