1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Warwick Streamer$$ 5-string arrived from Amazon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Mar 25, 2013.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Well, the red Warwick Streamer $$ arrived today. If I had a camera, I'd post some pictures.

Some things right off the back:
    1) It was made 11/11/2008, and the tag says something like "Hershal Music Group" (sry, not at home right now; H-something Music Group). So I'm thinking it was bought off some other company clearing their shelves.
    2) The hardware is gold-brass, not silver! The pic was definitely silver, and I think the details said silver hardware, too.
    3) There is a gap between the bridge and the body. The bridge came set high (and uneven), and with the contoured body design, there is a gap (for dust & gunk to get into...). The saddles were also almost maxed out for height.

All that being said, the sound is definitely there. I let it warm-up and then dialed everything in (except the truss rod. Maybe a 1/4 turn towards back bow tomorrow), and then plugged it in. I tried every combination of pup settings I could think of and I don't hear any funny noises. No buckling in the neck, frets are level (tho, I didn't gauge either - I just used my eyes and tried every fret, every string - no random buzzy frets). It came in its Rockbag with maintenance kit and new ID/warranty/inspection cards, inside of a stapled cardboard box, inside of a shipping box with paper padding.

So... From all that, can anyone tell me if its A-Stock or B-Stock? It sounds good to me. Tried it with the stock Warwick Black Labels, and a pretty new set of DR Fat Beams from my other bass.

Not sure how I feel about how it looks, tho, with that gold and that gap. I feel like the bridge and saddles shouldn't be up that high, but I've got 'em lowered and as level as I could without getting fret buzz. Definitely don't sit that high on my Rockbass.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At least post a cellphone picture. Congrats on a cool bass!

It sounds mainly like your bass needs a set up. Do it or have it done, and you should be good to go!

3. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Hah! Cellphone picture... My phone can make phone calls and send texts. There's no camera. :p I might be able to use the webcam on my laptop, now that I think bout it. Everything comes up backwards, tho.

A set-up, definitely... I might just have my luthier do it. I "dialed in" my Rockbass, and thought it was good. Took it to him to have a little work done on it, and he threw in a set-up. It played SO much smoother. He was like, "You know, you had your truss rod pretty flat. Like, you almost had backbow. Did you mean to do that?" I was just trying to lower the action for the mid & upper frets. He told me the neck bow wasn't the issue. The neck just wasn't seated properly (it wasn't level), and it was causing my high frets to push up, while the low frets pulled back. So he threw some washers in and readjusted everything for low action, THEN dialed it in with me playing it. Definitely schooled me.