Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new warwicks vs. old warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkinSlick, Feb 28, 2002.

1. what's so different about the old warwicks vs. a new one? like the necks? how they're built?electronics? anything that's different, because i'm curious as to why everybody is very "eh" about the newer basses as opposed to drooling(or maybe not drooling, but y'know) about the older ones, so yeah any input at all is welcome.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, the main differences are that the old ones had wenge necks, most of the newer ones have ovangkol. Also, the old ones had the brass Just-a-nut, one of the coolest features ever. The new ones have a very inferior plastic Just-a-nut II. And the Warwicks made before 1994 were pretty much hand built. They have gradually modernized their factory to keep up with demand, and they are now made pretty much like a Fender or Samick, except for the high end neckthroughs.

3. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Older Warwicks have thinner necks than the factory-made Warwicks. Also, the older ones used Schaller straplocks instead of the recessed Dunlops.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The very first Streamers also had a Spector-style headstock.

5. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The new ones have a very inferior plastic Just-a-nut II.

It's not plastic!

6. the main difference is in the woods; they used to use wenge for the neck but now they use ovangkol...also the inferior nut. Although, I kinda have a problem with my '94 with the brass nut; when I shift down to 1st or half position sometimes the sharp end of it gets my left hand. They shoulda smoothed out the edges. I have a 94 and a 99; they both play fine, in fact I think they made some improvements in the electronics; the newer pre-amps are hotter. I am afraid they are becoming an 'assembly-line' bass maker though, the new Streamer Standards suck. They used to not make stuff like that.

7. better pickups, better pre-amp ( mec rules ) :)

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I think the MEC pups and and electronics are pretty ho-hum. Play the Warwicks with the SDs and you'll see what I mean.

9. embellisher

I agree. I have played Streamer Stage models with EMG's and with Duncans, and they both sounded better and cleaner than the MEC equipped ones that I have played.

bass2020 - I guess that I thought that the Just-a-nut II was plastic because of the way it bows between the adjusting screws. Even though it is metal, it is inferior to the brass Just-a-nut.

10. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    bass2020 - I guess that I thought that the Just-a-nut II was plastic because of the way it bows between the adjusting screws. Even though it is metal, it is inferior to the brass Just-a-nut.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's not metal or plastic- it's a graphite/carbon composite.

it STILL sucks though, no matter what it's made of.

as for the new ones - unless i wanted something as a backup to my 98 SSII, i'd rather go with a different maker that will make me a bass with a wenge neck.

jason

12. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    all of this makes the new warwicks look bad... warwicks are still very nice basses, as compared to any other factory made basses id say there the best, there like a custom bass at factory prices IMO. The nut works fine, if you dont like the electronics.. change them, its worth it for the warwick body and neck IMO. the ovangkol neck sounds very good, and again its better than any other factory neck.

13. embellisher

Better than a Zon, Status or Modulus neck?

14. Is there anything really different between and old stage 2 and a new one? anything different in the neck or manufacturing process?