1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New ways to cover missing parts other than backing tracks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Aug 4, 2017.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    After reading the numerous threads on people hating (or not) backing tracks for cover bands, I figured this would be an interesting thread. I've played with a band that does some blues/rock/country covers - guitar/bass/drums and a vocalist who plays flute and sax. We have used the flute to cover a lot of signature organ and keyboard lines - sometimes with effects to emulate a Leslie. It's worked very well for
    Whipping Post, Love Her Madly, What I Like About You (sax on keyboard solo), Roadhouse Blues, as well as some others. People know it's not the same, but it sounds great, and allows for some great instrumental breakouts - trading solo licks and such.

Anyone else?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal

MonetBass likes this.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Loop stations can be very useful, as can having an auxiliary player who can move between parts.

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The EHX B9 organ emulator sounds pretty good in a mix.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    We once did "Color My World" for a wedding reception. I borrowed an electric piano to play the piano part, the drummer played bass, and the guitarist played the flute part on guitar. In high school a friend's babd had a "horn section" that was one of the guitars, and three people singing parts.

It's notes and feeling, not instruments. I play the song, not the recording.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Jhengsman likes this.