Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Weather Report Live albums - from classic lineups!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was listening to "Jazz on 3" last night (BBC UK radio)and they were talking to Joe Zawinul. He mentioned that the compilation of classic live performances from Weather Report has been completed and is ready for release. He said it would be a double CD with about 18 tracks from live recordings - a lot of which were actually made in England.

So they will cover the periods/tours with Alphonso Johnson on bass, then the Jaco/Erskine quartet and some later line-ups with Victor Bailey. Should be an essential purchase for all bassists who are into fusion or just the best playing!!

2. Bruce Lindfield

PS - forgot to mention - these are all recordings that have never been released before and are mixed/chosen by Zawinul and his son after scanning through vast amounts of material to get the best tracks!

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hurray! This release has been in the pipeline for years. I thought the plan was for a full-on box set, but two CDs will have to do for now. I hope that they will continue to release more live Weather Report material in the future - certainly Zawinul has enough of it.

Bruce, have you read 'In A Silent Way: A Portrait of Joe Zawinul' by Brian Glasser? That's a great book. It mentions several times in the book that some of Weather Report's greatest live performances were at the Hammersmith Odeon, London.

"The Hammersmith Odeon was one of the magic places. There were a couple of places that the band played that were just special. When they went in there, you were guaranteed that whatever happened the night before, or however the tour was going, when we went to Hammersmith it was going to rock."

Interestingly enough, the Zawinul Syndicate plays there this month as part of the North Sea Jazz festival on Joe Zawinul's 70th birthday. Should be a pretty special concert. Are any UK TalkBassers going? I was thinking about arranging a TalkBass get-together for the show.

4. I've been waiting for a good time to start getting into Weather Report and other fusion (and really jazz in general). Sounds like quite a wonderful way to start!

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Pick up the album 'Heavy Weather'. For me, that's the definitive Weather Report record.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I hope the new live stuff will give "8:30" a run for its money. To me, that is the definitive Weather Report live album.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. Tell us when it's out in England so I can wait thirty years to see it on American shelves. Hell, I'll just pay Amazon the extra twenty to get it for me in a month! Seriously, sounds very good.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sounds good to me!

I have heard rumors of some killin' LIVE Weather Report stuff socked away in Sony's vaults...Bob Belden wants to re-master these tapes in-question, too, but...

Any bets when the Bobbing's Jaco box will be issued?
    Anyone recall when Sony/Warners was goin' to do a Jaco box on the 20th anniversary('96) of Jaco's debut? That one fell through the cracks, too.

Dave-
    I read the Zawinul book & thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Can you believe how many drummers this band chewed up & spit out?! Ndugu Chancler was the monster they needed; too bad he only played on Tale Spinning...I would have loved to have heard he & Jaco groove(nothing against Acuna or Erskine, either).

(BTW-I still heartlily recommend Paul Tingen's Miles Beyond). ;)

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i still crack up whenever joe z says he created the "hip hop beat" on 125th street congress

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    One of the best shows I ever saw was Weather Report at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1976, when I was rattling around the UK after finishing up a year of college abroad in Scotland. Killer concert. The opening band was the George Duke-Billy Cobham band (I think that's right--it was some pairing of famous guys, anyway) with a quite young John Scofield on guitar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and with John McLaughlin and Shakti too. I guess they don't make concerts like that any more!

11. I got this album yesterday. I gotta say, I don't really like it. I'm hoping it grows on me since I want to start liking jazz. I think it's all going right over my head. ;)

I realize this post had little to do with anything, but I felt like sharing.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Wow - I can't imagine "Birdland" going over anybody's head - it's just a funky good time tune and was covered by loads of people - it's been in the charts in many countries!

Back on topic, has anybody heard any more about release dates for the new live set - the way Joe Zawinul was describing it, I definitely want to buy it, but haven't heard a definite date?

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just found this information on a Miles Davis discussion website.

Release date is supposedly
    October 1. Here's the track listing, followed by the details.

Disc One:
    1. Freezing Fire
    2. Plaza Real
    3. Fast City
    4. Portrait of Tracy
    5. Elegant People
    6. Cucumber Slumber
    7. Teen Town
    8. Man in the Green Shirt

Disc Two:
    1. Black Market
    2. Where the Moon Goes
    3. River People
    4. Two Lines
    5. Cigano
    6. In A Silent Way/Waterfall
    7. Night Passage
    8. Port of Entry
    9. Rumba Mama
    10. Directions/Dr Honoris Causa
    --------------------

November 27, 1975 - The New Victoria Theater, London

Freezing Fire 9:17
    Cucumber Slumber 11:39
    Man In The Green Shirt 10:48
    Cigano 3:58
    Directions/Dr.Honoris Causa 8:37

Wayne, Joe, Al Johnson, Chester Thompson, Alex Acuna
    -------------------

September 10, 1977 - The Rainbow, London

Teen Town 6:30
    Black Market 9:26
    Rumba Mama 1:06

Wayne, Joe, Jaco, Acuna, Manolo Badrena
    -------------------

November 30, 1977 - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Portrait Of Tracy 5:57
    Elegant People 5:07

Wayne, Joe, Jaco, Acuna, Badrena
    -------------------

November 28, 1978 - Phoenix, Arizona

River People 6:57
    In A Silent Way/Waterfall 5:46

Wayne, Joe, Jaco, Peter Erskine

-------------------

July 12, 1980 - The Complex - Santa Monica, California

Fast City 6:49

July 13, 1980 - The Complex - Santa Monica, California

Night Passage 5:53
    Port Of Entry 8:08

Wayne, Joe, Jaco, Erskine, Robert Thomas
    ------------------

June 3, 1983 - Hammersmith Odeon, London

Plaza Real 7:04
    Where The Moon Goes 12:04
    Two Lines 8:15

Wayne, Joe, Victor Bailey, Omar Hakim, Jose Rossy
    -------------------

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I hope they do the C.D. in chronological order, Ireally don't care for them jumping time zones like that.......just a pet peeve:D

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Is it just me...or does Wayne Shorter's speaking voice sound a bit like Mike Tyson's?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Sounds like a great lineup - I am even more convinced to buy it! Thanks David.

PS I noticed in Jazz UK a Birmingham Jazz venue that looks good - "Jazz Spice" stratford Road.
    In early July they had Julien Arguelles and Jean Toussaint - who are very good - might be worth checkingout?

17. Bruce Lindfield

PPS - unfortunately, this is the very day I will be travelling to Wales for my Jazz Summmerschool. I would have liked to go to this as well as maybe Marcus Miller, Dr. John on the next days, but I won't make any of it!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can hear both Marcus & Dr. John, together, on Tom Scott's '80s album, Apple Juice("So White And So Funky" is the tune). ;)

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

There is also a David Sanborn DVD that has Marcus
    teamed up with Dr. John, Boz Scaggs........Lou Reed
    and others.

20. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    funny how no one mentions Miroslav Vitous when Weather Report comes up.

i absolutely ADORE the early WR lps.

WEATHER REPORT

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC

and one of my favorite live lps:

WEATHER REPORT - LIVE IN TOKYO.

i know everyone thinks of Jaco with WR...but, there's some GREAT post MILES/BB sounds coming from those beginning lps.

not for the faint of heart...not Jaco/Funk...but, required listening in my opinion.

http://www.hodshon.com/LP_Navigation/Vinyl_-__W_/vinyl_-__w_.html

fred