"New" Weather Report!!!!!#!#!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbrad, Nov 21, 2015.

1. The Legendary LiveTapes:1978-1981

I am about half way thru and will say this is a must have for all WR fans, very fresh takes on all the great songs from the live board tapes. Jaco, Joe, Wayne, Peter and sometimes Bobby are hitting it on all fronts. Jaco is in all his glory. Joe is freaking out with all sorts of fresh sounds and parts. Peter and Bobby the driving force of percussion. Wayne making it jazz with his soulful sadophones.

Listening to a furiously frantic and funky take on Gibraltar.

The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981 | The Weather Report Annotated Discography

Then there is also the Jaco movie and sound track coming.

Three Views of Jaco: Weather Report: The Legendary Live Tapes 1978-1981 / JACO: The Film & Original Soundtrack

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for sharing. Jaco got me into fretless many years ago, made it a point to be able to play "okonkole y trompa"!

3. Boy do I wish I could still play all that stuff I learned and woodsheded for so many thousands of hours back then. Now I just tell myself it made me the player I am today. Then I have to solo and think, .....where did all that stuff go......and chalk it up to aging. Sigh.

4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm about half way through too, some great stuff. I went to a bunch of Weather Report shows starting with the Alphonso years until I left the east coast in late '79. My only gripe is, they could have done a bit better in the pricing. If Jaco's and the other guys and their family's get a cut, I don't mind too much.;)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...ordered from one of Amazon's resellers for about $30 (includes shipping). Giving it to myself for Xmas.
    So I have a long wait. Thanks for the early reviews, though.
    :)

On a tangent-
    Looks like Alphonso Johnson's early solo releases are about to be released/available on a 2-cd set.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Bob_Ross, vmabus and jerry like this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That and the Jaco documentary were my Christmas gifts to myself too.

JimK likes this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Same here...I have Zappa @The Roxy & Rush R40 Live in the stocking, as well.
    :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021