New website for my band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, May 16, 2005.

1. Well, I switched the Total Posers website over to the registrar service last week. I found they had some good deals on hosting and such, so I took advantage of it. You can see the site I've been working on by clicking the link below. I'd appreciate any input, but it's definitely still a work in progress, so please keep that in mind ;) I am trying to fix the margins, and the buttons at the top of the page if anyone has any advice, especially if you've used, it would be appreciated.
  2. 15 views and no responses yet? *sniff* Can't anyone help me out a little? :(
  3. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Um...its a little bright, too much white.
  4. So, you want critisism huh ? Well I'll gave a go ... ;)

I like the overall design, it's clean, classy and elegant ... but it doesn't quite fit with the subject IMO.
    Rock 'n roll isn't supposed to be clean, classy and elegant.
    CaNaDaRoCkSoY may have a point, it's too bright.

Also, I don't quite get the point of the picture of the turntable, that would be more fitting for a hip hop band or DJ. (again IMO)

Hope this helps.
  5. Thanks for the coments, both of you!

The turntable is temporary. It was one of the few "default" images on I could find that was music-related. I am thinking of adding pics of our various instruments in place of the turntable, or something else.

I think I will darken up the color scheme a little bit as well. You're right, it is kind of bright. Maybe I will change the buttons and links to make them a little "edgier" too, so things don't look so neat, as one of you put it.
  6. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Yeah it some what doesn't go, after you click enter we see the cool rock pic but its out of place. The background gives a more of a clean cut look, I think you may do better with a simple brick wall or rubble pic in the background.
  7. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    You also might consider resizing the band picture down to whatever it's supposed to be displayed at with an image editor, instead of just "resizing" it with the HTML tag. It'll make the picture MUCH cleaner-looking by removing the jaggies that are currently on the image. (just my $0.02 as a web designer...)
  8. Not to upshow good critisism, but for a purely 'normal' viewer( I really don't know much about designing things on computers, or much about computers all together) It was not bad, easy to navigate and such. It could be edgier, but i've seen enough sites for bands that are black with neon writing and links randomly put places that do nothing. Yours is simple, but nice. :) Good work in progress i guess i'm saying.
  9. Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I didn't want to make it like the cliche sites you always see where everything is dark and spooky looking. I'm going to keep working on it, but it seems like I'm off to a decent start. If anyone has any more thoughts on things I should add, let me know.

I eventually hope to get some mp3s up...right now I only have a few demo tracks of some covers we do, and I'm not sure if I could put those up because I might run into copyright laws by doing that. Anyone have experience in that area?
  10. I don't have heaps of legal experience with mp3's, but I do know that you could get into copyright trouble by posting covers there, especially if you are trying to sell anything.
  11. No, it wouldn't be for selling anything, but I doubt I'd want to risk it anyway. Thanks.
  12. No link to Talkbass?!!! That's pretty messed up.

Agreed with all the above, pretty easy to navigate, but it looks like the site for an Architecture firm or something. I, too, have hosting through GoDaddy, but that doesn't mean you have to use their design programs. Spend a few minutes (really, that's all it takes) to learn Frontpage or something so you can manipulate backgrounds and colors. Your logo looks good, but the purple and gray is obviously a stock template.

Great start, but think of it as a start.

ps. I did mine with ZERO web design experience on Frontpage. I asked people (here and elsewhere) for advice on how to do the things I wanted to do, and learned by experimenting.
  13. I assume Frontpage is a commercial program? Not trying to be a cheapskate, but does anyone know any good free web development programs? I'm trying not to invest too much more into the website process at the moment...
  14. BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ