1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Whammy! Whammy DT!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Amitio, May 19, 2011.

1. It looks cool but I wish it wasn't so big!

2. ...looks like they still didn't have enough room for the holy 5th^/Oct^ setting. :rollno:

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Interesting, I wonder if this means they've finally gone polyphonic (since a drop-tune mode would be pretty useless if it was still monophonic). I could be interested ...

4. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was waiting on the next whammy to have this.......Time to save up for a Pitchfactor....

5. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Unless you can shift up an octave on the left hand side and then a 5th on the right hand side....it would work......I'll have to see a demo i guess.

6. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Why can't they just use two knobs to set the limits of the treadle, and not some presets that I might not like? At any rate, if it sounds as good as the Whammy 1, I might try to commission Molten Voltage to do the mod I just mentioned.

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    in my honest opinion they should work on another whammy tailored for bass

8. I am happy to see this one out, because while I have zero interest in this one, maybe the whammy 4 will drop in price

9. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    as many people that are trying to get a bass whammy but don't want to spend 500-600 for one.......you would think digitech would get a clue...

10. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    That has come up time and time again around here. But they wouldn't sell anywhere near enough bass whammys to make it financially worth it to Digitech to even bother with the R&D

11. I'm not so sure that they would need any R&D... how about a re-issue? Old specs, current housing. Pitchfactors and morpheus pedals are selling...

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Interesting. I wonder if the tonality has been drastically altered by them using polyphony.

From the website:
    True Polyphonic Pitch Shifting and Whammy effects in a single pedal

Also looks like this thing is side-jack mounted, and surprisingly runs off DC instead of AC (although it says 1300 mA).

The one major question I would have is, what is the street price going to be on this gigantic pedal?

I'd only hope it's sub-$400, more likely in the ~$350 range, but I can dream that it were cheaper. (not that I'd be purchasing one, but a cheaper WH-4 would be pretty tempting... although I highly doubt that would happen either since the Chrome special edition whammy didn't even dent the market price of the WH-4... even though it's just a WH-4 in a shinier $50 more expensive case...)

If it's $400, you could get a Line6 M9 and have essentially the same octave effects, plus a ton of other stuff.

If it's closer to $500, the Eventide Pitchfactor far outshines it in flexibility and features.

Luckily EHX didn't try to create a pedal that you could program to use any polyphonic pitch and assign to one side or the other of an expression pedal, or they'd just be another major contender for DigiTech. (well... at least they haven't done it yet...)

13. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Yeah if it is close to $400 i will pass and get a Pitchfactor. It has way more features for a price around $400.

14. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Neither one of those are aimed at bass players though. Guitar players make up probably 95% of the people that buy those two pedals. You're asking for a bass-specific whammy pedal, which would probably do maybe 1-5% of the sales that a guitar-based whammy would.

15. I agree with Rob, I saw this new one, very exciting but I think that we will use only two/three presets of it, almost for my way of playing. I have the old XP100 and it's still really amazing!!:bassist: