Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New whamola type project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jamiedunce, Apr 10, 2005.

1. jamiedunce

jamiedunce

Jan 21, 2005
    Hi everyone. Im designing a project which is going to transform my fretless squier p-bass into my own take on Claypool's Whamola.

Ive made some designs in Paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Id really appreciate it if people can point anything out to me, any flaws in the design, any ideas.

Thanks

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    a couple of things:

Your string will have to be off center to line up with a set of poles on the pickup.

I think you need to make the hole in the headstock at an angle, or better yet, use a pully. the string isn't going to slide at that shark of and angle, not matter what you line the hole with. If you make the hole angled, then you will have a sharp corner at the back of the headstock. I think the best method is to cut a slot, and put a pulley wheel in it to reduce friction and proling the string life.

I have a stand that I used on an Eub for sale in the DB classifieds, I think it would suit your project nicely.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171471

3. jamiedunce

jamiedunce

Jan 21, 2005
    Thanks! Im going to go with the pully method. Im thinking a pulley could be used as a nut too?

4. boomerbass26

boomerbass26

Apr 29, 2005
    Here is a link to an image of my just finished whamola. With all the changes I made to the orginal design I decided to call it a Whimola, because it is not what Steve Whamola made for Les Claypool. This is just a prototype for many more I will be building. This one has the knobs for volume and tone on one side, the jack for the amp on the other and eventually I will be adding in effects electronics built directly into the whimola itself. If your interested in my designs, plans, or one for yourself hit me up.

Here's the Whimola pic:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...655487&imageID=97790531&Mytoken=2005042901461

If you want info just reply to this and i'll get back to you.