New Wish AJ Fretless 6 Model, ***!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 21, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The upper horn looks more Ken Lawrence-ish than Fodera-ish to me.
  3. is he serious!?! a formica fingerboard.... man, wish is more of the wall than i ever realized. what's next corian?
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Actually that's probably the best looking Wish I've ever seen..

I'd never buy it, but it does look nice..
  5. Dude...if he was sellin' it for like 50...I'd def go for it.

I like it.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Didn't you already buy one ??? :smug:
  7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes, but it wasn't $500 ;) ... It is now the "TalkBass Wish" that is floating around somewhere..

I only paid $200 for that particular one... I could have saved myself a lot of time by simply holding a match to two Franklins.... :meh:
  8. formica fingerboard? he's either really onto something or is gradually running out of parts of his house to make basses out of. I know he uses the trees he has in his yard but that seems to be just stupid.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    [zombie voice]
    You avatar commands me to kill....
    [/zombie voice]
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I thought I had posted this in another thread about Wish's basses earlier, but I can't seem to find the attachment now. :p

(With appologies to Mr. Jackson...) :bag:
  11. OK..... now that is just wrong!! :spit: :p
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    He has hypnotised me at least twice, last nite....
  13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Doode.. that is so wrong...... I mean, that's like "Ethel Merman naked" wrong!!

Easy there, Bob!!! :eek:
  14. Everyone always makes fun of wishbasses. They sound good...really good...sorry, but its true...

and what is wrong with a formica fingerboard? It's flat, it's hard, and it's's a GREAT IDEA!

And the bass isn't all that bad looking either...I kinda LIKE it!

Stop giving Wishnevsky such a hard time.
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Perhaps you should petition the moderators of this forum to have a rule for Wishbasses like they do for ERB's. That way if anyone cracks a joke about them its time for a vacation! I guess whats good for one is good for all...

...then again...they are some pretty ugly basses (even though I would consider buying one)...that AJ presentation model wish is just hillarious!
  16. I've been one of the detractors of the Wish basses, bought one (with other folks money! ;) ) and tried it just to make it fair so I've got a good basis for my opinion.

Leave Wish alone about the fretboard. Does ANYONE here actually KNOW what Formica is? Aside from the printed faces with patterns and colors, Formica (brand name) or most any other high pressure laminate is phenolic. The same phenolic that is used in fretboards on some of the highest end basses in the world. This is just an inexpensive source of this rather expensive material. Believe me, if I could get phenolic in the appropriate thicknesses, I would be using it too. Whoever Wish has running his operation now is clever and is just being creative in his selection of materials.
  17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Ham's right about the Formica. Those phenolic fingerboards on some high-end basses? Same basic material as Formica. Deal with it.

As far as the shape, I'd guess he was trying to copy the Fodera, and that's as close as he could manage.

Big advancement in control plate materials!

And he got himself a nice stencil or decal for the logo on the back.
  18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Formica is one brand of phenolic high-pressure laminate. The resin is phenolic, and the fiber can be paper, cotton, linen, even Kevlar! I think Formica uses paper throughout - I know it uses paper for the layer that you see, just below the top, thin semi-transparent layer.

BTW phenolic-fiber composites are going to be even harder and stiffer than the "stabilized wood" which is wood impregnated with acrylic.

Have you checked out Look up Garolite (another brand name). Also, you could take a trip to a local plastics suppply house, to see what appearances are like. McMaster may also do samples for you.

They have at least two different varieties, in tan, where a 3" x 48" x 3/16" is only $13-$17, with samples available for $5.