New Wooten CD cover...interesting.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 17, 2005.

1. He must be great in bed. Thats disturbing, but now I understand his speed.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree, pretty cheesy.
    I guess the 8-arms ties into the Circus-Freakshow thing.
  3. Reminds me immediately of that Steve Vai/Sheba poster... I can't find anywhere on the 'net, but all the music stores here have 'em.
  4. Yeah - I think so - I heard from someone who caught his show last year - The Wooten Band Show that is - that Vic actually performs magic during the show - levitating tables and the like - it's starting to go a bit 'Siegfreid a Roy' for my liking - I really hope the music isn't too electro-funk - I find his band stuff really naff - and so 1980s it hurts.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    URB, Judging from the cover I'm guessing it's a lovely album of Jazz Ballads performed with a heavy emphisis on Melody, tastefully expressed with a traditional accoustic background band in the great traditions of Dexter Gordon, Ron Carter and Miles Davis NOT!
  6. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hey Munki!

Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. The magic stuff I don't care for (personal reasons). I like to be entertained when going to see live music, but that's just a little overboard and weird.

I love Vic and all, but the last album I got was What Did He Say. I had heard clips from other tunes after that album and I was not really impressed at all. I loved "Pretty Little Lady Groove" from his instructional video, but was pretty disappointed by the version on Ying Yang.

I really can't blame the guy. Like all of us, we have visions of music we like and how it should be and whatnot. He does the stuff he likes and sometimes, folks will not get it or just plain not like it. We do the same thing as well. We play and write what we personally like, but it doesn't mean anyone one else will like it.

His upbringing and influences at the time are bound to make an effect in his playing. The 80's thing just might be where that is coming from. :eyebrow:

Oh well, nice to hear Vic coming out with a new album, though.

7. I always thought his and Bela's antics in the Flecktones' shows were funny...not overdone.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You and I are SO on the same page regarding Wooten, munki. He was a big inspiration to my bass playing but I echo everything you just said. That first video of his, "Super Bass Solo Technique" really pours on the cheese at times...especially when he starts interspersing clips of himself juggling while riding a really big unicycle.

I'll have to wait to see that cover picture though because I'm out at my ranch right now and the 26.4kbps modem is not liking that big photo!

brad cook
  9. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    I dig the magic. He does good tricks. I've seen him do the levitating table and the disappearing bass and I don't have a clue how he did it. I wouldn't like it if they were cheesy card tricks, but this was some copperfield stuff. Plus, it's been like a 3 + hour show each time I've seen him, and he spends about 3 minutes on magic. Some shows he didn't do any magic at all. Sort of a cool change of pace that stumps me everyt time - the "Testosterone" song, on the other hand, is only funny the first time.
  10. Victor Wooten is a great muscian and that cover artwork is not bad at all.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He's coming outta the '70s! Trust me, he was a bad ass then...even though the bass was bigger than him.
  12. The new CD artwork is alright...not really my style, but hey, if the music's good, who cares what's on the outside?

BTW, anybody know the release date for the CD?
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -- My favorite playing of his too.
  14. I just hope and pray that it's a good album - that might just feature a few lovely bits of bass - the one thing I've spoken to other players about is that Wooten should make 'Show Of Hands 2' because it really would be about 10 times better than the first one - even though that stills stands up it was done ten years ago now - to hear Wooten looping as well would be great. I still dig him loads, but I've moved on with my listening tastes - I haven't listened to any Wooten or Flecktones for a long while - I hope it sounds fresh when I do - half of the last album was great - half of it was just a bit weak - when band's start releasing triple 'concept' albums it's time to get worried - they've had a good ride so far...let's hope it lasts. I will say that I really loved 'What Did He Say' but Yin Yang was massively over-produced - every song had about 40 tracks of different stuff going on - too many guests - and again a double CD wasn't a great thing to do becuase half of it sounded like filler to me. The Wooten band live album is OK but also has some really bad bits on it - Reggie's guitar sound leaves a lot to be desired...IMO...and I'm being polite there. I hope that Victor doesn't sacrifice too much in his mission to reach a wider audience - he's an incredibly talented man so I don't think he will - but I'll wait until I hear the music first before making any more calls.

15. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't doubt you there at all. What I meant to say was that since he was coming up and still learning through this period (including today), I'm sure he picked up some stuff he liked (including the 80's :D ) and he incorporates that into his music.

Take care,
  16. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    All opinion, and that's fine. I personally don't even like Victor Wooten's playing style OR music, with the exception of a very few tracks.

But I have a hard time understanding how you can't just let go of the fact that he has his own music, and obviously, is going to make that music. He's making it for himself, and for his fans. If you're not a fan (don't worry, there are plenty) then that's totally cool. But we haven't even heard it and you're wayyyy over-analyzing it. Sure, maybe there are some elements lacking, in your opinion. Or maybe they aren't lacking. Either way......

Just take it for what it is!
  17. Of course I will - and I'm not WAAAAAYYYY over analysing it at all - perhaps maybe giving a little too much of an opinion on his work so far - but I've noticed a trend in his development as a solo artist / leader - and whether you like his work + playing or not - I think as Wooten is seen as some kind of example of as a leader in his field, and rightly so, I think it's good to 'analyse' his playing - is that OK with you?
  18. LoL, that looks ridicilous.