Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Workingman's 12 + old WM 10 extension = problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Oct 27, 2005.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Hey all,
    I'm soon getting a new Workingman's 12 combo to replace my old one that I first bought in 1999. I have had bad luck in the last couple of years with transistors going in the old WM12 and since I can get a new one at near cost from a buddy at a music store, I figure I'll start fresh with a warrantied amp and go from there. Anyway, my question I need help with is twofold... I have an old companion WM10 extension cab for the old WM12, which is rated at 100watts into 8 ohms. The old WM12 is rated at 100 watts/120 with a cab. The new ones are 120 watts/160 with a cab. I have a feeling I'll kill the WM10 cab if I use it with this new amp, correct? Now I'm a little irked because I want to be able to use this cab, but I don't want to blow it. The second half of my question is why folks are reluctant to work on solid state amps anymore. There is one guy here in Asheville that does work on them and he is backed up for 2 weeks on his work. I still plan on getting the old one fixed, but I can't afford to be without the WM12 for 2 weeks, hence the other reason for having a backup. If anyone on the board is in my area and knows of a good shop or indie amp tech that isn't too far out of town that will work on SWR stuff, drop me a PM.

2. You'll be fine. The amp is rated 160 with a cab (4 ohm load) which means each speaker will split that, so the wm10 will only have to deal with 80 watts out of that 160.

Randy