Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New WT-400 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SCH, Feb 19, 2003.

1. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Just took delivery of a new Eden WT-400 today. I'm loving the sound, but I'm a little confused by the two 1/4 Amp Out jacks in the back. The manual say, "the jacks are wired in parallel. The toal speaker system impedance should not exceed 4 ohms."

I'm currently running 2, 8 ohm Bag End S-15D's off of it. I'm only using one of the Amp out jacks on the back of the head (daisy chaining the cabs). This gives me a 4 ohm load. My question is, can I hook each cab separately into the head, and will that also give me a 4 ohm load? I'm a little confused by the manual saying the amp out jacks are wired in parallel. Have I got this thing set up right?

2. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    Either you can hook-up your cabs in the daisy chain method you described. Or, you can hook them up separately in the two jacks. Either way you will run a 4ohm load. The two inputs just gives you some flexibility.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, exactamundo!

Congrats on the purchase, btw. The WT400 was always my fave Eden. I really dug the preamp in it.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congratulations. Your wisdom is hanging out.

5. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks guys. I didn't get much of a chance last night to play with my new toy, but what I heard I really liked! I'll be gigging with it twice this weekend.

6. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    SCH,

After your gigs, please give a full report on how the 2 Bag End's sound with your new Eden.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I was looking at the wt-400s manual on-line today and saw that "not to exceed 4 ohms" statement.

I think what they really mean is not to load the amp below 4 ohms...i.e. two 8 ohm cabinets or one 4 ohm cabinet, etc.

A greater impedance 8, 16 etc. would be fine (since they also say that you can operate the amp without speakers plugged in to use as a headphone amp...impedance load would be in the megohm range with no speakers connected) but going below 4 ohms can cause overheating and shutdown (if you're lucky).

8. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have the exact same rig. Eden WT-400 and two Bag End S-15D cabs. I love it! However I do find my self missing some ping or high end slap tone alot though. But they get a great tone for the most part. The bag end are so efficient that any head will push them fine I believe. I use a Jazz 4 and a R bass 5.:)