1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New WTC pictures from way up high.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Time Monkey, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
  2. Pretty cool, someone got a bit carried away with the HDR in some of them tho!

3. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    The only picture that doesn't look fake is the last one.....:eyebrow:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The website crashed the browser on my Droid3, but I did see the first two. I'll try again. Great pictures, but they looked skewed. May have been because of my mobile device.

-Mike

5. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    It's how all HDR photos look.

6. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I admit HDR does look cool, but definitely not realistic.....

7. Depends on how it's done.

HDR can be taken to the extremes, unrealistic contrast etc. Or they can be used to capture pictures that are more realistic than a single exposure would give you.

Realistic/not overly processed:
    524648299_3405fc9761_z.
    Sunset at Point Mugu State Park, CA by psycho29890, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Lots of post process! :
    hdr-27.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think the photos would've been better with processing. The comments are hilarious, though.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I kind of dig that one. It doesn't look real at all. But it looks like the beginning of a great shot. Start with a location like this one, heavily processed like that into a near cartoon. But have the person/s you're presenting as the focus standing in the middle unprocessed. I'd put that on a CD cover in a heartbeat.

I like the idea of the whole area and any other people in it besides the artist/band/whatever looking kind of imaginary, very plastic and fake. But then the person/people that are the focus look completely real.

I'm thinking now. I may have to do some of these. I already like the idea of having random strangers posed with instruments on the cover in place of the actual band. And the more odd and disjointed they look, the better.

I wonder how that would look combined? An elderly nun wearing my bass, a homeless guy holding a set of drumsticks, a big burly cage-fighter looking dude with a microphone, four year old little girl holding a nonstandard instrument like a keytar or Chapman stick, maybe a bassoon, I don't know. Angry looking transvestite with the guitar. Something like that.

This could be cool

10. Maybe I have *off* perceptions about guitarists :bag:

I like the surreal ones at times too, was simply pointing it they can go either way :)

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A while back, a friend and I cut an album worth of leftover songs from both of our previous bands so that he would have files to practice on in his recording software. When he got them sounding good enough, he decided to work on the visual parts of the package.

He went to the local mall and took several pics of five random strangers holding instruments and made those the bands pics for the CD cover. My bass parts were credited to a name I'd made up as a joke back in the '80's. Since the most common first name in the world is Muhammed and the most common last name is Chang, How come you never meet Muhammed Chang? So my bass parts were credited to Muhammed Chang.

I thought the pics were hilarious. To me they totally still looked like a bunch of strangers posing with instruments. I'd never have thought they were a real band. It turns out many 'normal' people disagreed.

I may have to steal that trick some time.

In my last band we had a pair of brothers who looked like a young Mick Jagger (ish), and a slightly less smarmy David Spade, one who looked like movie star Ben Chaplin...and a big huge homely balding bearded guy. You can probably guess why I like the idea of having stand ins for the band pics by guessing which was me.

12. just my two cents... I know this site is "prime real estate" but consider that it's also a graveyard... and why would you want to put up another "target" for terrorists?

This whole site should be a park and a memorial, not a shrine to capitalism.