Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Yamaha All-Digital Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jul 26, 2004.

1. have been trying to try one out for 6 months, but Yamaha Australia have no info on it as yet. will keep you posted, would love to hear it.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Go back to HC and click on the video link.

I thought it sounded nice in the Real Video sample, but I wasn't blown away or anything...

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Very cool, but only 500 watts? Eh... I'll pass on that.

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    at 2 ohms, no less.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Then again, it's only 8 pounds. I wonder how much the Yamaha bass cabs weigh, and what their efficency is.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think they've got a 410 cab now that weighs an astonishing 11 pounds!

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yeah, that's not bad for 8lbs. Still, I'd rather it weighed 20 and put out, say, 1,200 watts.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why 20? Walter Woods can get 1,200 watts out of seven pounds.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yes, but Walter Woods is magical. I figured 20 would be a decent number, since the amp weighs 8lbs. as it is.

10. I dont see it.

11. i guess that means no one noticed the blurb in the august BP about a very similar offering from ampeg? the power isn't enough for me on either, but it's nice to see "new" ideas.

robb.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Be interested in your opinion when you get to hear one. I've used a few switching amps before, Tripath based mainly, and they can sound very good. I used them into highend audio systems, and they surprised me with their performance, but I have no info on how they survive in the rigours of a touring pro-rig...

13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  14. Hmm, iirc, some company out your neck of the woods (Peavey) has been dabbling in digital amps for going on a decade. I know you already knew that. :smug:

15. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Notice that in the description on HC it says, "First in Series of Programmable, Lightweight and Compact Units". I'm curious to see what's to follow. Probably some combos...?

16. yeah, i've heard say something about that. i think we've also done some programmable bass amps, too. who knows, though? :smug:

robb.

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Is it just me, or does the presenter in that Real Video sample seem just a little too peppy? Like there's a hamster in his pants or something... :eyebrow:

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I put a guinea pig in my pants once. That is all.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia