Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"New" Yamaha BB5000 fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I traded my MTD Kingston 5 fretless for this lovely cream-colored Yamaha BB5000F. I'm gonna mod it heavily--the bridge and probably the electronics need to go--but it plays nicely and should be a welcome addition to the arsenal.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That one is nice. I dig the p/j config.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice bass, Peter. I checked out a fretted with EMG electronics. I liked stock more.

I'd go with Barts or Basslines;)

4. I'm gonna get a pickguard made to cover up the routing, and what I'd really like to do is have a pseudo-Sabre/L2500: pickguard-mounted dual-coil Bartolini MMC pickups with individual series/parallel minitoggles, and a master volume, balance, and concentric NTBT.

The bridge is gonna be tricky--this thing barely has 0.5" spacing at the bridge. A monorail-type bridge might be in this bass' future--and it's worth it, because these Yamahas are amazingly durable instruments.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Out of curiosity, how much better are monorail bridges? I have 2 basses with them, and I've barely noticed the diff.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That would be like the electronics in my hanie, except the hanie (afaik) has quad coil bart soaps and it has an active passive switch.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nice solid starting point. Will be good.

8. I doubt they're better, although they'll be a big improvement over the stock bridge. The low B will definitely get a lot more powerful.

FWIW, I think I'm gonna put an active/passive switch in, too.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    On the sidelines, is that fretlined? Looks something like dark ghostlines on the body end of the board to me..

Actually I've been drooling after one used active version 5000F going for $700 but am bit scared to take the plunge if the board is not fretlined :(

10. It's a very nicely done defret--the fretlines are filled in with black wood filler.

One thing I am gonna need to do is sand off the side dots and have new ones put on under the fretlines, rather than between them.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I thought the MTD was the end-all be-all. What happened?

12. 35" ain't my bag.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Looks good Pete! For some reason I thought it was a natural walnut color...oh well, looks just as good creme colored. Nice bass.

14. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Nice!:D

*mumbles* Bastard *mumbles*;)

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wuss.

;)