Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Yamaha BB604

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt bass, Sep 16, 2003.

1. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Just arrived yesterday, and all i can say is WOW:eek:

This thing sounds amazing. For £365 retail (i got for £325, owner of music shop is a good friend) it sounds like a £1000 bass. The active pups are great and i can get an very near Fender P sound or a very 'growly' tone and everything inbetween.

The mid range on/off switch is also a great bonus as i can get those classic sounds without the mid range, but with it on the amount of different tones is fantastic.

For anyone who might be conidering a Fender MIM Jazz, all i can say is Yamaha BB604. It sounds hell of a lot better for more or less the same price.

I will try and get a pic on, but if there's any questions concerning this fine bass, im open for questioning.

P.S. Sorry for sounding like a very excited school kid with a new toy :cool:

But thats what i am :bassist:

2. I couldn't agree more, Yamaha have got to be one of, if not the, most underrated manufacturers of basses. My RBX 370 kicks ass, sounds better than most MIM P-Basses I've tried...I tell ya, stick some new strings on your bass and it will sound even better! You can dial in so many sounds with my bass, from punk growl and mid-range bark to warm dub/reggae tones.

But, before anyone else says it....we must have pics!;)

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey, I had a RBX370A once. I'm still overrawed by the quality of its worksmanship and how well the bass was built. Everything was absolutely flawless. I don't know about your RBX370A but mine had noisy(just a tad) pickups. Thats why I sold it.

Matt, thats a good score. I've played that bass on a couple of occasions at a music store and I really like it. I like the fact that the bass comes equipped with the NE-1 preamp.

You know if you come to Singapore and drop by the local Yamaha dealer here, you could snag the Yammy for about 230 pounds.

4. You know, you're the third person in about a year's time that's made a statement like this.

I pretty much agree. I have a BBN5II - $400 brand new. It's passive. Can't beat it for tone or playability in this price range, or the next one up, IMHO. I'm starting to seriously consider getting a TRB5 for my next bass.

Yamaha must have some sharp cookies in sales and quality control. ;)

When I think of it, I've probably heard fewer complaints about Yamaha products than any other mass producer of guitars and basses.

Go Yamaha!

Mike

5. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    definately, yamaha basses rock...they are definately underrated. People think coz they are mass produced that they are just "OK".
    they are quality instruments with a capital Q.

happy playing mate

6. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Sorry guy's couldnt get my camera lead to work, but this is the pic from the Yamaha website and is the same colour as mine.

[​IMG]

7. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    I have a 370A too, it's a great bass and i can't fault the workmanship. I've tried a few different strings to get the tone just right for me. I haven't played in over a month because I broke my wrist but I seem to remember that it was very versatile ;) It's my first bass and after 2 years (i think) with it I'm still happy, the next step up in performance would mean a huge step up in price IMO, I'll stick with my Yamaha

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Nice bass!

I'm looking at getting back into the Yamaha brand with a flat blue RBX775.

9. Well, think about the money they have to throw around. They can afford virtually any outlay, because they have a rep for tidy work across the board, so they will always be selling into their price range, which, IMO, they lead in. At least in Australia they do.

I have an RBX-260 with a few mods and a BB-G5A that is presently stock, and I'm real stoked with the pair (could go some new strings...).

Nice score dude, I dunno what exchange rates are and whatnot but you've got a sweet instrument regardless of the price.

Josh D