1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Yamaha Lomanzo Bb pics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Midas, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    Endorsed by: ASHDOWN / LE FAY basses
    Hi! Is there any pic arround of James Lomenzo's new custom Yamaha? Any information about if it will be available like the 1000/3000MA BB ? Cheers, Ingo

2. theres video of it on the bass player magazine website

3. I saw it on Bassplayer TV, but I assumed it was just a custom bass made specifically for him.

4. i think at this moment it is but they are talking about making it available

5. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    That woud be cool, - how do you know ?

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    This bass sounds interesting. From a Lomenzo interview:

"What I was looking to do was have an "every rock bass", something that would be as great playing motown as it would be playing Megadeth. The main elements are a maple neck, a smaller BB sized body made of alder and three Dimarzio pickups. The first two pickups are similar to the Billy Sheehan set up that is a Dimarzio humbucker right off the neck which is great for those Jack Bruce/Felix Pappalardi sounds. Then, a high output Dimarzio in the standard p-bass position. These are all wired together in series. I've added a reverse p-Bass style pickup by the bridge where Yamaha usually places their single coil pick up on their standard models. This mixed just behind the middle pickup gives the bass a richer harmonic attack and provides better right hand access on the lower strings. There's also a Hipshot D-tuner and a BadAss II bridge which are things that I've just gotten used to over the years. Depending on the mix of the 3 pickups you can really emulate a lot of classic bass tones. The bonus is that it plays so well, it's a hard instrument to put down. If I'm sitting around, I'm always jamming on it."

Here's the full interview:
    http://uk.yamaha.com/en/news_events/artists/2008/lomenzo/

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I would so buy that...if they made it for under a grand...can't afford more than that... I LOVE that bass, everything about it, from the awesome pickups to the maple/silverburst combo.

8. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    I put a Warmouth all maple neck on a BB414 (the orange one) and play my BB 1000MA with pickguard for years now. But the Lomenzo Yamaha looks just killer!!! I hope Yamaha will make it available! I think if they will they could place it between the cheap BB's and the much to expensive BB3000MA. In Japan they still sell the "old" BB3000 for a really reasonable price... :-/

9. ok so he goes from using status graphite and warwick buzzards to using a bog standard yamaha BB? dont get me wrong i like yamaha (i have 2 90's BBG's) but it seems like a step back.

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    It doesn't really look that "standard" to me, in one of the videos on bassplayer.tv he said he wanted something like a monster rock machine and it indeed looks like one, it sports an added reverse bridge P pickup and a neck mudbucker. Plus, he said the body is somewhat downsized compared to a regular BB body. I also think the maple fingerboard looks really cool on a BB-type bass.

11. I love my BB1000s. Is the Lomanzo a neck thru?? Anything new bassed on the BB neckthru series would really grab my attention.

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    The bass also has an added reversed P pickup in the bridge position, so it's kind of a Dual P Attitude. Watch the videos on bassplayer.tv to get a better look at it. By the way, not everyone likes the looks of the Buzzard, ya know. ;)

13. Midas

Midas

Sep 7, 2007
    Germany
    I used to like the buzzards but I never lost my love for the BB's!
    My first bass was a BB300 back then, maybe that's the reason why :)
    And by the way,- I saw Lomenzo with his Buzzard at the Frankfurt Musik Messe some years ago... the Buzzard is way to big for him! :)

I think it is a bolt on bass but don't know for sure! I also would love a new necktrhough BB !!!!!

14. what do you mean? not everyone like the look of the buzzard :ninja: it is sex with strings :D (no dont post the obvious pic, its banned from TB, you know the one..... dont even think about it LOL)

yeah the warwick buzzard is stretched in the middle, so it looks waaaay too big, for anyone (aint lomenzo a decent sized guy too?).

dont get me wrong i like BB's and i can see the pro's of this set up, but it seems weird to drop from using warwicks. but then again those warwick buzzards are weird LOL.

but back to the new BB, if i didnt have too many basses id think about it, having seen the pics (i prefer pick guards on BB's, my modded BB has one so im biased :)) i now realise i was jumping the gun earlier, i cant get bassplayer TV properly (maybe a UK thing or just my ISP) so that pic is all i have to go from.

15. thanks for the better pics Midas.
    damn, that does look like its gonna be a hot seller!

im not sure i like the sterling style matal plate, but yeh it looks sweet.

now to hear some clips and maybe a bass whisperer youtube review :)

16. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    The bass has a master volume, just like the Warwick Stryker and Buzzard basses.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I would rock one of those. I like the downsized body. Come on Yamaha!

18. yeah i noticed that, i really like the master vol there. it is a really natural place for it and if i could i would have it on more basses than my B2. actually thinking about it this new lomenzo is quite like the B2 just with the mud bucker added :hyper: but that is obvious where the playing styles of the endorser differs. john entwistle preferred top and upper mids, bi amped. where as James Lomenzo obviously wants more bottom to fill out the heavier ensamble's he plays