Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Yamaha "Silent Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bob McHenry, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Has anyone seen or had a chance to play one of the new Yamaha "Silent Basses", Model SVB100?

Am interested in input re. your impressions of this EUB
    and how close it sounds to the "real thing"!

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Man, those have been "NEW" for a long time now:

Silent Bass

always wise to do a little homework first!

3. Hi Olivier,

Thanks for your reply! Sorry, but I had no easy way of knowing that the Yamaha "Silent Bass" was NOT a new product. I have never seen a user review on one and it seems like it is just being newly promoted here in our area.

Do you have any input to offer?

Thanks and regards,

Bob McHenry

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    In summary: those Bass Shaped Objects are usually so badly setup that no one can really tell ! Anyway, if you are seduced by the real thing then no ersatz is gonna quench your thirst: get a real bass. Finally, this Yamaha product does not rank that high amongst EUB's.
    I have tried one at a dealer show: the body was definitely missing ! no resonnance.

5. Hi there Bob,

I tried one of the silent basses out about 3 years ago, and remember being entirely impressed with the ease of playability. I come from an entirely classical background, and everything in thumb position was terrific to play. However, I don't remember being too enthusiastic about the arco sound. It sounded like an "EUB," very metallic, manufactured, and harsh, rather than a true woody upright. The pizz, for my limited use, sounded great.
    So, I suppose it all depends on what you will use it for!
    -Tyler Shepherd

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This instrument was a surprising misstep for the usually reliable Yamaha.