New Years Eve Gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mwbonsall, Dec 28, 2001.

1. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    So, where is your New Years Eve gig this year?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This doesn't belong in Basses.

I will be playing at Uncle Herman's in Mesquite, Texas on the 31st.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:cool:
  3. the power pop quartet will be jammin at some expensive big family dinner thing. 40 bucks a head! pretty crazy, but we got the headling 12 o clock spot. Im pretty stoked. isnt it traditional to play a cover song on new years too? thats what I heard. :)
  4. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Yea, this thread will probably get relocated soon.

As for me, I got a double header. I play the afternoon at the local college, and then that evening I'm playing at a doctor's private party. Trad jazz. In Tuxes. Outside.:eek: PLaying my new, non-white upright. :D
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, this is the wrong forum. Not too sure where to send it, as it isn't really a gig story, so I am sending it to Misc.
  6. actually i think it belongs in " gig stories " :)

but hey ok.. no new-years gig this year.. :)
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    My classic/blues rock trio is playing a combination NYE/40th birthday party for some friends. For free! In an airplane hangar.

Kind of a departure...NYE is usually the best-paying gig of the year and one of the least enjoyable. It'll be the opposite this time.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sigh....same old same old....

...back at EPCOT again, 2 sets on the main stage! :cool: This time it's just us, not backing up Tito Puente Jr (which is fun too, but I'd rather do the original material :D). Hopefully it won't be 28F onstage again this year.... :eek:
  9. No NYE gig for me this year. My drummer is in Costa Rica until after the new year. He'll be scuba diving, catching tropical fish, and catching tropical venereal diseases.

I'll be having fun though, getting to be a civilian for once when the ball drops & seeing how the other half lives, but not nearly as much fun as my drummer's having.
  10. I'll be a civillian, too, but not really by choice. The big hotel/party gigs (for which the Sinatra band is perfectly suited) have really dried up around here and the bandleader was pushing for a bit more money than necessary. I'm very glad that he pushes for good money (he usually gets it), but I would kinda rather work that night even if it is for less-than-stellar money. We were initially going to push and hold out for $500 - 1000 per man, but I personally would have been happy with some of the $300 gigs he was offered. Oh well. :rolleyes:

The annoying thing is that I spent so much time keeping things open for gigs, I don't have any good party plans! :rolleyes: And my girlfriend will have to work early the next morning! :mad: I guess I can watch to see how well Dick Clark's plastic surgery holds up under the stresses of arctic temperatures...:(
  11. Gard, I feel your pain. The third year in a row at the same venue. There's nothing wrong with the venue, it's my normal Friday night residency, and the money's OK, $3000, but........
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Marty, that wasn't pain, it was sarcasm!!! :D I'm THRILLED to be back there, it's such a cool gig, and cake too!!! Two 45 minute sets, a "house" (number estimated to be in the park) of about 70-80 thousand, and great money, who's in pain???

The only downside is that we have to go in Sunday night at midnight and do a "run-thru" with the pyro guys. Oh well. Hopefully, it won't be wasted time like it was last year, they got NONE of their cues and the "show" looked pretty goofy - fireworks going off totally out of sync with the music, etc.
  13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How's it going? The Old Man is playing at Walden Golf and Tennis club for the third time in 4 years. We get to bring our spouses, partake of a shellfish buffet extradinaire, get all the booze and champaign we want, and make around 3 bills each, that's hundreds not thousands.

In good old Cleveland, that's not a bad gig, it's not the most high brow, high paying, but those other gigs don't want to hear about the extra 8 meals for our spouses at $75 per meal. This is the first band I've ever played in where the musicians gave a rat's butt about whether the spouses were there or not. Our wive's don't care. They'd rather us make another $100 each and not show up!! Whatever!

We play four sets, 1/2 dinner set and 3 1/2 of party music. These guys do have a good time and get a bit crazy on new years cause they all live within a 5 minute drive of the place (it's a nice golf community, except during the winter!!, unlike Florida).

The Lakland 5594 Beaver sold me last winter, which you said you played, is absolutely super and I finally rid myself of all other stringed instruments because of it. Are you still working at Beaver's place? If so, I'll see you in late January when I'm down there for Lotusphere and a 5 day extra golfing vacation at the Marriott someone closeby.
    If not, that's OK too, but let me know if your band is playing somewhere public between Jan 27 and Febr 2 and I'll try to come and see you.

Good luck and have a great time Monday night.

Old Man
    Larry Kaye
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hey Larry, that sounds like a pretty cool NYE gig too, I've done my share of golf community work down here, so I know the deal. Older folks aren't always a bad thing, I've known quite a few that could party circles around some younger so called party animals, real pros with lots of practice! ;)

As for BC and your bass, yes I'm still there and have absolutely no plans to be leaving any time soon, I'll still be there when you are in O'do, look forward to you dropping in, we always have plenty of pretty Laklands to drool over... :D Glad you're happy with the one you got, it was a real looker, sounded and played as good as it looked, too!!

We have no gigs booked during that time as now, but PM or e-mail me before you make the jaunt, and I'll let you know if any have come up. Bring your earplugs! :eek: :)
  15. Gard, you said 70-80,000? That's a good house man! Have a good one.
    Regards, Marty.
  16. America's Pub here in wichita. 6pm stage time. 1 hour show. But, it is the first time I've played a new year's thing. Best part? Beer's free, but no money. I can totally deal with that. I'm gonna completely love it. Already got my hair blonded up, and my Ampeg shirt in from Musician's friend.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Marty, yes, that was 70-80 thousand, estimated. Last year, there were over 100 thousand in the park according to the Disney people we talked to :eek:.

Just got home from the soundcheck/pyro run-thru, sounded great, hopefully the firebugs will do better this year! ;)
  18. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    My band, The Saturn 5 is playing at the Indigo room in Ft Myers FL. Two shows of all original music. Should be fun!
  19. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My band doesn't have a new years gig on account that our drummers and lead singers father's band (god that's a mouthfull) was already booked and they need our drummer.

I'm going to be doing the father thing to tonight. I'm going with my dad to jam with a bunch of guys and do a little bit of Country and Oldies I guess. (I won't be getting paid though) God, it's been a long time since I played Country.
  20. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    My band, SEV, is playing in DC at a club called INSOMNIA, should be alot of fun. It is gonna be hosted by WHFS....