1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Year's Eve SUB gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The band has had an awful time with subs. Not being prepared, getting drunk, etc. I told them I'm a meat n taters player, they said we NEED a meat and taters player!!! 70% percent of the list I already know. Looking forward to this one.

2. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Cool.
    I have a guitar gig for New Years. (first ever)
    Been practicing making gastronomic disturbance faces in the mirror.

3. Way cool, now go learn the other 30%, and have a great fun time at the gig. PS, Tip: stay sober. :)

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I don't drink much anymore (since they invented the funnel!) Kidding aside, I can't really. It may mess with my medicine.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Got to practice with these guys this week. I lost about a week of prep time due to a death in the family. I hit the shed as hard as I could for several days before hand.

I was nervous to start and made mistakes along the way but they were cool and it actually turned out to be fun. We got through about 30 songs and discussed ones that we missed. I think they were happy. My goal is to be as prepared as possible so they can enjoy the gig instead of playing with butt cheeks clinched.

They told me the last 3 subs just didn't put any effort in learning the stuff. The guitarist said he spent a lot of those gigs with his guitar turned so the bassist could watch his hands.

6. I don't care for sub gigs. A great deal of effort for very little return. As for the date, I think it was George Burns who said he knew he'd made it in show biz when he didn't have a gig on new years.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This one is worth the effort. Their bassist plays in two bands that sometimes has conflicting dates. I have subbed in the other band when there was a conflict. I hope to sub more with this band. With the slow death of my own band, it's nice to have something to do.

8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Boy, this sounds familiar.

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Got to practice a couple of time with these guys. Really laid back. The practices were actually fun. I've experienced 1st time meetings/jams that were so bad it was as if there was no oxygen in the room.

They told me horror stories about the last three subs they had. Two were totally unprepared and just kinda "winged it." The third was good but got wasted, couldn't help load out (left right after the gig) and left an unpaid bar tab.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Good luck tonight! Stay sober, have fun.

11. Break a leg!

12. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Good luck with your gig!

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I love subbing in and playing with new/different musicians. I got calls for two sub gigs with two different bands in January. I don't mind doing a little woodshedding to pick up a few new tunes. It's always good to have more tunes in your pocket. It makes the next sub gig easier.

Plus, if you want it to, the effort could lead to a permanent gig.

Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

14. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    And, the more musicians that you play with, the better you get.

15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Made it through. Made a few mistakes but I wasn't the only one. They were complimentary, etc. but I was wondering if they were just being nice. My friend that hooked me up with them called me this morning and told me they were very happy.

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Good show! Don't sweat the "mistakes". I'm sure few, if any, people noticed. Heck, I make mistakes on material I've been playing for months. My singerbabe's husband, who is also a bass player, tells me he never hears them. So, unless they are really a train wreck, they're not nearly as noticeable as you think.

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We got the normal requests for Mustang Sally, etc. then a napkin comes to us with Please play "Roll the bones" scribbled on it!

18. Whose bones did they want you to roll on?

19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Whoop! Got a callback!

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ah, it's great to be a sub sometimes! :hyper: