New Year's Eve-what to do

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've been playing with this group for about a year and a half..rockabilly, classic rock, old R&B. They have been together for almost 10 years and the lead guitar player and I joined almost at the same time. We are better musicians and have better work attitudes than the people that we replaced so by last spring, began to get a lot of gigs. In July, the rhythm guitar player/lead singer was diagnosed with cancer so we cancelled all of our gigs for that month and August. He felt better by September so we've played several gigs but his energy is noticeably lower. We practiced last Saturday for three hours and he sat in a chair the whole time while singing and playing his guitar. Said that he was tired. We have gigs on December 14 and 15 at the same club that has asked us to play on New Year's Eve. The singer said that he would prefer to stay at home with his wife and two daughters that nite. The drummer wants to play on the 31st and is also the only person who is single. We are all in our 40's and 50's and have families. I called the drummer last nite and told him that maybe we shouldn't play on the 31st...he wants to spend it with his family, a four hour gig would be hard if he doesn't feel good and we're already doing two in December. The drummer thought that we should play and if the singer can't do it, then we need to get someone involved in practices right away as a replacement. I told him that I didn't like this idea..the singer didn't ask to get sick and he has been the most inluencial member of the band...getting the gigs, learning the songs, organizes most of the sets, etc.

What do you guys think?
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What I would do, personally, is see if the band wants to play, or if they don't for sure. If they don't, start advertising yourself for a pickup/fill in gig for New Years Eve. There's plenty of denero to be made New Years Eve.
  3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whatever you do as a band, your singer/guitarist should be aware and be ok with it. If not, be prepared to break up. If he's such an integral part of the group, I would say you should do something under a different billing on that night if you guys do play. Otherwise, as LM says, you could probably get another gig if you want one.
  4. elzie

Oct 14, 2002
    Woburn, MA.

I would sit down, one on one, with the siger/rythm guitar and see what he thinks. Personally, a friendship would outweigh the gig to me, especially when someone is in the situation your singer is in.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Talk with your singer about it.. if the whole band agrees on getting a replacement for that gig.. then i would say its ok... but its seems that you don't want to do that.. I personally wouldn't want to get a replacement singer.. and like you said, its not your singers fault he got sick.

Best of luck to your singer, I hope he is better soon
  6. zoran

May 10, 2002
    yeah we have the same problem, but our drummer wants to go with his wife (just married) to Paris. And we can get a lot of money if play on new year's eve. It's all because of woman i can tell you. They can destroy almost every band.
  7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is certainly a compelling story..and something all we bass players have had to deal with in one form or another over the years. I just don't see what it has to do with amps. :confused:
  8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Sorry, I was in the amps section when I decided to solicit your inputs.

I spoke with the singer's wife yesterday who said that he went right to bed after practice and slept the whole afternoon and into the next day. He then slept all day on Sunday and did not go to work on Monday because he was still sleeping. Apparently our three hour practice just exhausted him. His treatments have been making him sick. I'm beginning to think that a four hour gig will do him in.

I appreciate the feedback from you guys..... Thanks. I don't feel very good about getting a replacement. This guy has been the leader of the band and has really put a lot of effort into maintaining it that it just wouldn't feel right to me.

The drummer....I think he just wants to star on New Year's Eve.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would just sub myself out.......this way nobody gets offended. It is really sad that your singer is sick and I hope the best for him. But I never play in bands where guys want their girlfriends birthdays/ holidays/ or any other day off.....if you times that by four or five guys in a band......your not left with many days to gig;) I did a gig on my wedding my wife got used to the idea real quick.........and that was twenty years ago:D
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

wow. :eek: